Quick Pro/Home and Partitioning question/advice

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Krause

Quick Pro/Home and Partitioning question/advice

Post by Krause »

Heya guys, im realitivly experienced in linux and have decidded to start messin with my xbox i had. I reflashed the oldschool Xbox's tsop with the 1meg Cromwell image (ehh, too lazy to go back and solder jumpers to make it only acsess 256kb sectors :P)

First I tried Xebian (since my main linux box used Debian and now Ubuntu) It was cool, but it just left me a bit wanting, its more of a shell of what its older brothers are, and like Debian, the want to make newer packages for it (like Xorg which had to be made for it/with kernel modules)

Now I think im gonna go for Gentoox, as it seems the most actively worked on (unlike the others which seem to have stoped once they got a working one out the door) from what ive been reading in the tutorials/faqs/forums it seems really cool so far.

Now, i see there is 2 main version types, Pro and Home.
From what ive read, it seems that Pro is pretty much the same as home, but without the Xfree/X.org GUI, and other bloated multimedia packages? Or have I misunderstod the main diferences?
If that is the case, could i install pro, and still use its package management system to install Xorg onto it then compile Fluxbox like on my PC, or do i have to compile Xorg/Xfree myself from source and apply patches?

Also, about partitioning, i diddnt see much mention about it in the install instructions, most of the guides are based on the user wanting to maintain their xbox half, i dont need that, its been reformatted multiple times, so if i want the full HD assighned to Gentoox, do i need to take it out and load the HD in my PC and partition it on there? From the few forum posts ive searched on it it seems thats the case, and if so, does Gentoox look for a specific partition scheme layed on the HD ahead of time, or can i go through each partitiona nd give it a mount lable in gentoox?

Thanks guys for your time and reading this, any advice info to fill me in would be awsome :)

-Krause
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Right...

Pro and Home are essentially the same as you point out. You can install Pro, then run `magic` to install stuff like Xorg and any other patches that Home might have.

Gentoox doesnt support fully native installs officially... but if you know what you're doing it can easily be done. You can have any partition configuration you want so long as you let the fstab know what youve done and the bootloader. One hint is that Gentoox Loader looks for "/linuxboot.cfg" on the FIRST partition marked as 'Active'.

/dev/hda1 Swap (256M) (linux swap)
/dev/hda2 Boot (100M) (reiser/ext3) (Active)
/dev/hda3 Root (The rest...) (reiser/ext3)

Just mkswap /dev/hda1

On /dev/hda2... you should have vmlinuz and linuxboot.cfg... inside linuxboot.cfg, you should remove the initrd lines and change "root=/dev/ram0" to "root=/dev/hda3"

On to /dev/hda3, copy the contents of the loopback filesystem "rootfs".

Once youve done all this, you should see a "Native" icon show up in Gentoox Loader.

Hope this gets you started. Also note that magic kernel updates wont get installed properly. Each time there is a kernel update, youll have to copy it from /mnt/fatx/e/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz... unless you also have /dev/hda2 mounted on /mnt/fatx/e as well as /boot *shrugs*
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo