USE flags for a headless webserver

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
britishseapower
Novice

USE flags for a headless webserver

Post by britishseapower »

What USE flags are suggested for a headless webserver, I'm about to start an emerge frenzy! Have I missed any, or do I need any more?

Code: Select all

Pro / # cat /etc/make.conf | grep USE=
USE="-ipv6 -X -gtk -gtk2 -arts -gnome -kde -qt -cups"
Pro / #
thanks,

bsp
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You probably want apache2, mysql...
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
britishseapower
Novice

Post by britishseapower »

Well, I got apache working without explicitly putting it in the USE= statement...have I messed up? Do I need it ?

Despite having used gentoo for several years...I have never got to the bottom of this, ie when to explicitly put stuff in...confused.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

you explicitly put stuff when you may or are installing software that "can " use other software..
example. if you know you are going ot install Mythtv then when you do the system you woudl put mysql in the use flag.
this way when qt is emerged it will put hte connectors for Mysql and mythtv uses thosse connectors. some times you have to reemerge when you do find something.

for me its was transcodeing.. I never put libdvdnav in my use and transcode keeped giving me an error that It could not read the dvd. so I did USE="libdvdnav" emerge transcode

for dvd burning software its always best to have dvdr in your use flag..

hope this helps