Help with USB wireless internet adaptor.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Trevante
Power user

Help with USB wireless internet adaptor.

Post by Trevante »

Well after a bit of reading and experimentation, I got the linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre25 installed in Gentoox (Home 3.1). I have a Microsoft MN-510 that has been confirmed to work with the linux-wlan-ng package.

So far, I've been able to get an IP address on the wireless adaptor, and I can ping it, and it can ping any device on my local network.

However, I can't get it to connect to anything outside my local network. If I try to ping anything outside my network, or connect to the intenet with gaim or mozilla firefox, it doesn't work. When I try to ping outside IP's, it says
ping: unknown host http://www.yahoo.com
This is when I put in my ISP's DNS servers in the /etc/resolv.conf

or
connect: network unreachable
This is when I put my router's IP address (My router is a Microsoft MN-500 btw) in the /etc/resolv.conf

Anyone know how I would go about solving this problem? I'm totally clueless as to what could be preventing it from reaching outside networks.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

well NVM, I got it workin just fine. Now I just need help making a simple script to get it to load the drivers and configure it at boot up. How would I go about doing that? Here is what I have so far:

Code: Select all

modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=Dizzle authtype=opensystem
/etc/init.d/wlan start
dhcpcd wlan0
What would I do to make it a simple executable script (like batch files in windows)
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I've never set up wlan before, but there do seem to be a couple wlan config files. Look at

/etc/conf.d/wlan.conf
/etc/conf.d/wlancfg-DEFAULT
/etc/init.d/wlan
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

clpalmer wrote:I've never set up wlan before, but there do seem to be a couple wlan config files. Look at

/etc/conf.d/wlan.conf
/etc/conf.d/wlancfg-DEFAULT
/etc/init.d/wlan
Thanks, but I already got the networking part of it figured out, I just need to make a simple script that I can execute whenever I want to start the wireless network connection, or a script that I can have run at bootup.
orochidp
Linux User

Post by orochidp »

I dunno if you already tried this, but try the programs hotplug and coldplug.

You can get them both with "emerge".
Hotplug detects new devices and loads the drivers, Coldplug configures USB devices found during bootup.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

orochidp wrote:I dunno if you already tried this, but try the programs hotplug and coldplug.

You can get them both with "emerge".
Hotplug detects new devices and loads the drivers, Coldplug configures USB devices found during bootup.
Thanks, I already edited the rc script that came with the drivers (so I just have to run it manually whenever I want to connect wirelessly), but I wasn't able to add it to the bootup sequence (using rc-update add) because of the parameters on it.

When I try to do

rc-update add "wlan start" default
It gives me an error saying that wlan has already been added, and that it can't find start. Does anyone know how I'd go about adding an rc script that has parameters with it?

If not, I'll just try Hotplug and Coldplug as suggested by orochidp. Thanks.