x2vga+ and Gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
iccaros
Adept

Re: FIXed? :)

Post by iccaros »

fixedsys wrote:Blew away all the files I uploaded to E:\ from distro.rar and reftpED them back. Ran through the setup and again but this time used HDTV and choose 720p. Its working now - even the usb keyboard I have.
I have a monitor (one out of 5) I had to change to hdtv to make it readable.
it must not like the refresh rates
Want to try one more live cd..
http://www.Iccaros-Linux.org
kgenthe

Post by kgenthe »

I've had Gentoox on my xbox before (connected to a TV) with no problems. I deleted it a while ago, since its useless on a TV...

Well I got my X2VGA+ a few weeks back and decided to revisit linux... only to find that you can't load gentooxx.xbe in 480p or 720p... Do a search here and find a dozen threads with the same issue :(

I have a softmodded box so I can't just flash a new bios to a modchip. I also just put in a new dvd drive, and this one won't read CD-Rs so I can't really use that workaround either...

Any suggestions?
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Are you sure? Gentooxx.xbe loads fine on my softmodded Xbox (in 480p that is, and it loaded in 720p on my friend's Xbox). I'm using a VD-Z3 instead of the X2vga, but it really shouldn't make a difference.

Do you have the latest version of Gentoox loader? What happens when you run the Gentooxx.xbe? Does it freeze, or does it just not load in 480p or 720p?
kgenthe

Post by kgenthe »

Well I think I have found a viable solution. I am using UnleashX as a dash.

From the first screen, select "System"
then "Settings"
then "Gamepad/IR Shortcut"

From here, choose "gentooxx.xbe" as one of the shortcuts (A, B, X, Y etc etc).

Save your settings.

Reboot. Now as soon as the power turns on, hold in the corresponding button that you chose above (I hold in the "B" button for example").

Works perfect, UnleashX stays in interlaced mode and the gentoox loaders shows up and boots with no problems whatsoever.
kgenthe

Post by kgenthe »

Trevante wrote:Are you sure? Gentooxx.xbe loads fine on my softmodded Xbox (in 480p that is, and it loaded in 720p on my friend's Xbox). I'm using a VD-Z3 instead of the X2vga, but it really shouldn't make a difference.

Do you have the latest version of Gentoox loader? What happens when you run the Gentooxx.xbe? Does it freeze, or does it just not load in 480p or 720p?
It does the thing where the screen goes blank, the xbox fan gets really loud, and the system powers off. Search for "X2VGA" and you can see a whole bunch of instances of it.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Oh I see.... I actually encountered that once (ironically while I was trying to help someone who had that same problem), although I never experienced it after that.
kgenthe

Post by kgenthe »

I still cannot get it to display anything but 480p (in HDTV mode)

Got any ideas why I can't select "x2vga" and select 800x600 or 1024*768?
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Do you have a 1.6? if so, then your only option is fixed 480p.
kraico

Post by kraico »

Don't know if this will help anyone, but I have an x2vga+ working in HDTV, 720p on a 19" CRT monitor.

My solution after alot of playing around was to UNCHECK the box under configure desktop>display settings>"apply settings on KDE startup".

Once I did this the settings referenced above worked fine and my display resolution was automatically set to 1280x720 - 60hz. My belief is the display settings are not updated in KDE when running xbvset and KDE reverts to the previous settings when starting up.

I could be full of hot air, but I'm HAPPY NOW
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

I think you have just gotten lucky because realistically, most people are having problems before Gentoox even actually loads. I think it has to do with Gentoox loader having trouble reading the eeprom, but I'm probably wrong.