Repartition Hard Drive?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
sfxpete

Repartition Hard Drive?

Post by sfxpete » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:31 pm

Hi All,

I`m currently ini the process of building a GentooX based PVR. I would like to go ahead with a native installation to gain a speed boost on disk access (they`ll be a fait bit! lol)

My current hard drive is 120gigs, most (almost all) of the space sits in the F: partition.

I`d like to try and split up the space a bit better say a 20gig F: drive and the rest stuffed into G:.

Obviously I`d need to backup everything befroe doing anything.
Question is can you repartition like what I want????

p.s. I`d still like to be able to backup games etc on the G: partition.

Thank in advance!

Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:25 pm

viewtopic.php?t=2630

That method should work for you, except that you'd have to figure out the numbers to change if you want a 20GB F and the rest of the space to G, and also, if you have a modchip or TSOP flash, that won't work, unless you're using the retail MS bios and you set up an exploit (UXE will work for you)

sfxpete

Post by sfxpete » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info for a start!

Couple more questions why you get time somebody......

1. I have an Executer 2.6 and can switch it off to enable access to the offical MS bios and apply a softmod to the dash. After I resize the partition wil I still be able to use an alternative bios + dash to play game backups etc??

2. Looking at this method I`d prolly get a 110gig f partition and the rest in g . Could I proceed with a native g install (via a post I`ve seen), would this still be poss?

3. I know that the current 2.6 Kernel has no FatX support, what exactly does this mean? Would I still be able to use an alternative bios + dash to play game backups ???? (remember I`d be doing a native install to g)

4. If all else fails could I get away with a native install and lose my current f partition and then run a 2.6 based Kernel somehow????

5. When you do a native install can it still be launched via a dashboard?

Thanks again for your time, I know I`m a a pain and a noob :) ......

Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:50 am

1. You can just ftp the files needed for the exploit while running your dashboard with your alternative bios. If you tried to do it with the modchip off, you'd have to use a gamesave exploit or hotswap, which would be extraneous since you have a modchip. And yes, you'll still be able to load an alternative bios, and play game backups, although nkpatcher allows you to do just that (it patches the MS kernel in memory to run unsigned code), so you could just leave your modchip off and still be able to load game backups.

2. Yes, that's exactly the point of that tutorial: to have a native G drive install.

3. I believe Gentoox currently uses the 2.4 kernel, but I'm not sure if there isn't a version that uses 2.6. If it does indeed use 2.6 and it doesn't have FATX support, you won't be able to mount and read or write to your standard Xbox partitions (C, E, F, etc.).

4. I don't know anything about the 2.6 kernel and Gentoox, but why are you so eager to use 2.6? I certainly wouldn't want to lose my F drive to just to be able to use the 2.6 kernel.

5. Yes, simply use the Gentoox Loader (use the XBE version), and it should detect and automatically load your native installation.

sfxpete

Post by sfxpete » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:22 pm

Thanks for answering my questions!

The whole idea of my excrcise is to get a native install whilst keeping my game backups on the HD via the f: partition.

This in turn would hopefully allow me get a 2.6 kernel working. I need this to compile a driver for my WinTV-PVR-USB2 device (it only has drivers that will compile under a 2.6 kernel) as MythTV only supports kernel mode drivers.

Anybody else managed to get a 2.6 kernel working minus the FatX support under a native g: installation???????? Any tips?????