Windows on XFCE possible?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
drerock
Linux User

Windows on XFCE possible?

Post by drerock »

I'm trying to install windows. I tried following the tutorial for windows 98 on this website but it didn't work. I ran the newfs command like it said and left it "making a new space" for over 8 hours. When I came back I got no response from the keyboard or mouse. It froze. Now when I try doing it again it says space has already been made but I cannot run any of the commands that follow on the tutorial.

I would like to install windows (any version but 3.1 is fine) but have no idea how. Can anyone help me? I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
kernel_sanders
Novice

very difficult

Post by kernel_sanders »

You've obviously confused Windows with Linux. The closest thing to Windows on the Xbox is the default Xbox kernel, which is a less-bloated version of the Windows 2000 Kernel. If you need help doing the Xbox Linux install of GentooX, start by downloading the Home 2.1 ISO, burn it to CD-RW, and follow the install HOWTO. I'll gladly answer any questions you have, after you read the install HOWTO. If you need help installing Gentoo Linux on your PC, goto the Gentoo and follow the install walkthrough there.
For Xbox Linux specific questions, there's the GentooX Forums. For everything else, there's the Gentoo Forums.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I think that drerock means installing Windows 98 overtop VMWare running on Linux, or something like that.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
drerock
Linux User

Post by drerock »

Yes, Trogdor, Thank You. I'm trying to install windows through linux. If you click on the "top ten" link in the gentoox home page and look under "10 most read articles in special sections" you can see a tutorial to install windows 98 on gentoox home v2.0. This is the article I was trying to follow but didn't work. Probably because I have version 2.1. Any idea how to get v2.0?

Oh, yes, Trodgor what is "Emacs", I've never heard of it. Thanks!
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I don't know about Windows, but I know about editors.

Back in the day, there were two console-based editors out there: Emacs and vi. Emacs, over the past 30 some years, has become bloated and has way too many features (comparable to those of an operating system), while vi has stayed lean and mean. Most people, through my experience, prefer vi.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Have you got enough space on your F drive. If you have a stock 10Gb drive you will not have the 2500Mb the tutorial asks for. If you do here's how to get rid of the the free space you have created so you can run the "magic newfs" command again.

first unmount the file system

Code: Select all

cd /
umount /mnt/bochs
Then edit your fstab file to remove the reference

nano -w /etc/fstab
Delete the line

"/mnt/fatx/f/bochs        /mnt/bochs        reiserfs    loop,defaults    0 0"
hit ctrl+x then y then enter
Now delete your bochs fs

rm -rf /mnt/fatx/f/bochs
Now you should be able to run through the tutorial again this time make sure you are typing everything exactly as it is written EspECiallY CapItal leTTers.
drerock
Linux User

I only have an 8 Gig HD

Post by drerock »

I think you hit the nail in the head nobspangle. I only have an 8 Gig HD. Do I have to get a new HD in order for newfs to work. I was planing to get one anyway because I was suspecting that was the problem. Thanks for the advise!