PRO version with SAMBA support!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

"Pro" (as the name suggests) is for "Pros". If you cant do this yourself, you shouldnt be using "Pro".
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

ShALLaX wrote:"Pro" (as the name suggests) is for "Pros". If you cant do this yourself, you shouldnt be using "Pro".
Both HOME and PRO take Soooooo long to install just to fined out some miss information you had been given was wrong. A more helpful answer would be after installing PRO run emerge samba-client samba webmin-core webmin-samba from my research on this forum but who's to say if this is to work? guess I'll know in about four hours....
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

if you only need to configure samba I wouldn't bother with webmin, just use swat which is included with samba.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Dude Please can you help me, I followed your TUT in my other post and it worked a treat, you missed out a reboot between writing the partision and yes | but I worked it out, and also I had to rem out the old fatx f: drive from the fstab. But thank you!
I now have a fresh install of PRO with a frack off f drive well cept now its called /mnt/storage.

So I then ran emerge SAMBA, PROFTPD and WEBMIN as per instructions on this forum and non of it works! I can see the Samba server under windows workgroup, but I cant browse it, bad user/password (probably something to do with the fact that the samba.conf is blank) the webmin says 'The page cannot be displayed' and I can only login via FTP read only with the Gentoox/xbox login.

Please help me I'm so fracked off, I have tralled this forum but just can't join the dots.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE
I've calmed bown a bit now, managed to paste a config into smb.conf via SSH, and now Samba is working, is this what one has to do every time?
I just have to get the FTP working and the WEBMIN.
Sorry Shallax praps this post need moving!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I didn't think you would have to reboot after writing the partition table I never have done, although it does warn you about it.

I wasn't sure if you had an F drive entry in fstab but you found it so no bother.

You do have to edit smb.conf to get samba working, you can do this via webmin once you get that set up. Webmin shouldn't require any seting up you just do

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/webmin start
rc-update add webmin default
then point your browser to http://xbox:10000

which ftp server have you installed? I recommend using vsftpd that is very easy to configure and super secure.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

I don't have any trouble starting and stopping services, I can start the WEBMIN service but it just says 'The page cannot be displayed' when you go to http://192.168.100.109:10000

I have installed PROFTPD because I didn't know there was any other, and what is this SWAT you mentioned? I can't find any reference to it!

So how do I un-install webmin? I can get by without it, and also uninstall PROFTPD....

Your thanks as ever...

UPDATE It's HTTPS://192.168.100.109:10000
Right I'm off and running now, now I can configure samba and the FTP deamon I can get them all working.

Now to start these service I've beed going into the /etc/init.d/ directory and typing;

./samba start
./proftpd start
./webmin start

to get these to auto-run is it right I type;

rc-update add samba default
rc-update add proftpd default
rc-update add webmin default
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you are correct on all counts, I wish you luck configuring proftpd with webmin.

Swat is a web based configuration utillity for samba, it comes with samba. To use it you need xinetd.
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Well I would personally like to thank you for all your help, you are a f@*king God at this sh1t and I feel honored you spared me some of your time!