Problems

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Desertboy
Novice

Problems

Post by Desertboy »

I installed gentoox last night after finally hacking a breakaway cable and usb extension lead.

I now have problems

For reasons beyond my control I cannot acces the internet (on my pc)while my xbox is on and plugged into my network card. I can download then send to my pc via ftp or dvddrive. I intend to sort this out but my only option seems to be a router and plug my cable modem in through ethernet rather than usb.

to my problems

1. My F: isn't mounted, it appears in Konsole when I point it to /mnt/fatx/ but when I click on it it just shows up blank.

2. Can I get drivers for linux for my terayon cable modem (USB or Ethernet) so I could get direct internet access.

3. Good FTP program for linux that's easy to use any suggestions.

4. I finally got epsxe to work, fullscreen is it possible. Also is it possible to use my xbox pad in epsxe if so how? (I have no usb mouse but that will change today)

5. I have something very simliar to this (I have no N64 input)
http://www.lik-sang.com//info.php?categ ... 0dabeea3df
Can I use it plugged into my keyboard usb hub. (It's auto detected in XP as a 2 axis 16 button pad)

6. How would I go about installing realplayer with no internet connection.

7. Can I Magic XCFE with no internet connection because KDE is painfully slow.

8. My xbox is flashed with 4974 X2, XBMP doesn't reboot on eject and neither does evox so why does gentoo. Is my only choice reflasing my bios or can I use BFM bios's ALA phoenix loader.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

What are the reasons for not being able to connect to the Internet whilst connected to your Xbox? Why are they out of your control?

If your PC will connect to the Internet whilst it is not plugged into a Network then it will also do do it whilst it is plugged into a network.

If your cable modem has an ethernet then you do not need drivers, you just plug in, the cable modem acts as a dhcp server and sets the IP address of the xbox.

you cannot run magic xfce without an internet connection as you need to download the source code when you emerge xfce.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

ProFTPD is generally considered the best and most "professional" ftp program. You will find it here:

http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/

To install it with Gentoox you will first need to update both "emerge" and "portage", see the tutorials and search to forum to find out how to do that. Once installed, I suggest using Webmin to setup ProFTPD's configuration file. Read at least some of the manual for ProFTPD on the above website. I found setting up the configuration file a little hard for a newbie like me, but I finally got it working great. You may want to download FashFXP as a great ftp client to use with it. Note that FlashFXP runs in passive mode and needs access to between about 49000 and 64999. Once again, read the manual on ProFTPD carefully as it will tell you all this stuff. Good luck!
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

Iy's a bug in my motherboard firmware that kills the usb ports when ethernet is active. It took a long time to serach this out but I finally got confirmation from said company. The board is over a year old so I'm kind of stuck. I'm going to put 2 NIC's in my pc and connect to the xbox that way but then I can't use any USB devices. Maybe a network->usb is my only choice.

If I plug the cable modem in are you saying my xbox will autodetect and give internet. Easily checked I know but I'm downloading a couple gig file at the mo so I'm relunctant to kill the connectio without confirmation

Can anyone tell me how to set epsxe upo in fullscreen. I tried screwing about with the options in gpuPeopsSoftX.cfg but to no avail. I can get it to work but 75% of the time it won't run complaining that it can't load epxse. When it does work it has good sound and a good frame rate but it's in a small screen in the centre I want fullscreen with usb joystick support.

USB joysticks in gentoox what's the beef

can I use my usb camera? Does linux have usb removable disc support built in.

Please help as I bought a usb keyboard, mouse, mad catz extension cable & usb cable yesterday (The mouse today) just for xbox linux and I like to feel I'm getting somewhere.
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Your drive is mounted, you need to access it as root, or at least using sudo. I.e. run "sudo konqueror" then navigate to the directory (this has been discussed before!).

Good a ftp client is deadftp, though it crashes on me a lot (so is it really that good?! I just use the commandline client).
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

ShALLaX wrote:Your drive is mounted, you need to access it as root, or at least using sudo. I.e. run "sudo konqueror" then navigate to the directory (this has been discussed before!).

Good a ftp client is deadftp, though it crashes on me a lot (so is it really that good?! I just use the commandline client).

Of course this has been discussed before, I'm sorry I had to use up your precious time. Us Windows newbie's must be mightly annoying. When logged in as root, su - in the konsole, followed by my password (It says I'm root) I still can't access f: Also Epsxe sometimes runs and sometimes doesn't I figure it's to do with permissions (Changing permissions managed to make always not work) I try logging in as root but still no joy.

This linux stuff a lot harder than it looks, still wrote a couple of letter in open office.

I got a long way to go but at £25 for keyboard and mouse (local) and £15 for madcatz connector and usb extension lead. I best get some god damn usage out of it. (Cost me more than it cost to mod me box)
XBoxgeek
Pro

Post by XBoxgeek »

Hi Desertboy,

I am new to this as well :D

How are you trying to access f: ?. In a windows command prompt you would just type f: but in Linux there are no drive letters (I maybe wrong)

To get to f type cd ../../mnt/fatx/f

If you then type ls you should be able to see the contents of f

I have only had Gentoox installed a day, so I have not yet worked out bat file equivalents. But I am sure you could write a script that does it for you i.e type the command drivef and it would run:
cd /
cd mnt/fatx/f
ls

Hope this helps
XBoxgeek
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

XBoxgeek wrote:To get to f type cd ../../mnt/fatx/f
The ../.. is unneccesary. Just go to /mnt/fatx/f
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.