loading stalls after resctoox -f drive

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
BMXpunk13

loading stalls after resctoox -f drive

Post by BMXpunk13 »

i just did an ftp install of home 3.2 to my e drive and tried to move it to my f drive with resctoox, which i installed on my e drive also, and every thing went fine but now gentoox fails to load. the last line I can read (but not the last line, stupid 1.6 box) sayd something about "cannot start dev /console (file not found or missing)" or something to that effect. what should I do?!?! im a newb by the way.
1.6 box
X3
ava/XBMC
Gentoox home 3.2
WD 120g hdd
custom paint
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Eep, something went wrong :( Maybe reinstall.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
BMXpunk13

Post by BMXpunk13 »

I reinstalled (via ftp again) and had it up and running fine, i ran magic and updated everything then i ran resctoox (from the hdd, as you instructed someone how to in another post) and I still have the same results. it looks like it is trying to load rootfs from the cdrom, as someone in another post has already mentioned. could this be a problem with running resctoox from the hdd? I cant use a cd, all I have are crappy cd-r's so thats out of the picture for me. any help would be appreciated!

*update*
I moved rootfs and swap back to the e drive via ftp and now it works fine, apparently all resctoox did was move those files, it didnt change any of the other files to point to the relocated rootfs and swap. isnt that what it is supposed to do? how can I make this work, i only have 240mb left on E so i need to get gentoox moved to F asap.
1.6 box
X3
ava/XBMC
Gentoox home 3.2
WD 120g hdd
custom paint
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

did you download the new/latest resctoox.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
BMXpunk13

Post by BMXpunk13 »

yes, I downloaded resctoox 1.4 and gentoox home 3.2
1.6 box
X3
ava/XBMC
Gentoox home 3.2
WD 120g hdd
custom paint
BMXpunk13

Post by BMXpunk13 »

maybe someone who has gentoox 3.2 working on their f-drive could send me the files I need to load gentoox from my f-drive? just and idea.
1.6 box
X3
ava/XBMC
Gentoox home 3.2
WD 120g hdd
custom paint
gerner

Post by gerner »

Bumpety bump. Same problem here. Any ideas ?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

How big are your F drives (and do you have G drives?)
gerner

Post by gerner »

Big F-drive for me, 160gb. No g-drive.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

That could be why. What you need to do is run magic FIRST, then do the f-drive trick. Try that out and let me know.
gerner

Post by gerner »

Okay no probs. Will set magic to work tonight and will post back tomoz.
gerner

Post by gerner »

Okay, sorry for the delay. I've ran magic and then tried the f-drive script from rescootx. No go I'm afraid :(

Same problem "cannot start dev /console" kernel panic. Moved rootfs and swap to E:\ and it works fine.

Is it possible to do as BMXpunk13 suggests and simply use someone elses initrd and vmlinuz to make it load rootfs from F:\ ??
evilxbox

Post by evilxbox »

i dont know, only thing i can say. ftp install is only thing thats works for mine 1.6(a)

I also never successfully updated with the magic tool, so i just use gentoox like it comes of the disk and live with that.

<post with xbox btw :D, relaxt forum reading on my coutch. lets grap some beer>