Need help booting

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tundog
Linux User

Need help booting

Post by tundog »

Need some help getting gentoox to boot. I've got the C and E partitions mounted under an xbox-enabled 2.4.21, but can't seem to work out which files go where. I've got ernie.xtf bert.xtf (from bigfonts) and default.xbe (from dayx) renamed xboxdash.xbe in C: The changed the file extension of the original font files to .old so they don't interfere.

I also have the .cfg file in C: but with the added value ROOT \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 (tried Partition2 also)

All the files from the gentoox 2 distro are in E: but It won't start. (you xbox needs service, blah blah blah)

Any ideas?

Cheers,

tundog
Security - the 'new' freedom
tchamp

Post by tchamp »

I'm not sure, but I think I'm having the same problem, but if you are using the font hack, and not using a mod chip, I think it's the same.

I've been Emailing Shallax, and his answer is that I need to sign the gentooxx.xbe file first. I'm trying to launch Gentoox from Evox, you too?

Anybody want to add to this? or tell us how to sign it? I'm finding nothing.
tundog
Linux User

Post by tundog »

No mod chip here. Trying to use the font hack w/o Evox. Not sure I need gentoox.xbe.

I think i'm going to try and build my own xbeboot.xbe from source to see if that helps. I don't think I need a 'signed' .xbe. I think the purpose of the font hack is to allow u to run an unsigned xbe.

Will let u know how I make out.
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

Not sure I need gentoox.xbe.
You need it to boot Gentoox. You need to sign the gentooxx.xbe with xbedump against the font-hack, if you want to boot it with the font-hacked Evox. Well, I had to at any rate ;) Then it'll just boot from the evox menu, after you make an entry. I know there is a way to boot it from Cromwell, but you may well need to sign the xbe anyhow, I don't know because the one I tried I'd already signed.
I think the purpose of the font hack is to allow u to run an unsigned xbe.
Well, unsigned my MS but signed by you. They need to be signed against the font-hack or they won't run under the font-hack-booted Evox. If I'm wrong someone please correct me, but this has been my first-hand experience since I got my Xbox 3 weeks ago... Nothing will run on my unmodded box unless I first

Code: Select all

xbedump whatever.xbe -font
under DOS prompt, except maybe Cromwell, I can't remember if I signed it. This goes for Xbox Media Player, DVDX2, all the Nintendo emu's, xcommander, Complex's loader, etc... I can't remember everything I've tried ;) but they all had to be signed. Alas, I don't know if there is an xbedump for Linux... anyone?
tchamp

w00t

Post by tchamp »

Dude, I did it! (before Scocou's post, I must add)

google for xbedump

download it and run the xbe through it in a DOS window (I know, Scocou already said it)
xbedump gentooxx.xbe -font

you'll get out.xbe, just rename it, and upload it! w00t, w00t, w00t!
Logged in as Root! I'm thrilled! w00t!
tundog
Linux User

Post by tundog »

kk, I got xbeboot to load. Problem is that it hangs. I think the problem now has to do with my linuxboot.cfg settings. Is there anyone out there that has loaded gentoox using that font hack that can send me a copy of their linuxboot.cfg? If so, please email to tundog at web dot de
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

I think the problem now has to do with my linuxboot.cfg settings.
I used the one that comes with Gentoox and didn't edit it at all - the font hack worked fine. I should add I booted it from Evox.
can send me a copy of their linuxboot.cfg?
Well, I will if you want, but as i said the default one will boot Gentoox from Evox with a -font signed gentooxx.xbe
tundog
Linux User

Post by tundog »

I'm afraid your's won't help. When u boot via evox, your calling gentoox which is on the E: partition. That means that the bootloader and the kernel are on the same partition. I think my trouble comes from the fact that the bootloader and kernel are on different partitions.

Basically I've got default.xbe and linuxconfig on C: with everything else on E:. Somehow, I just can't get the settings right in linuxboot.cfg so that it boots the kernel. As far as I understand the process my setup should work. Ive tried adding the ROOT \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1 as well as omitting that and giving qualifieid paths to vmlinuz and initrd.gz, but with no luck.

Maybe the reason that I can't find anyone who has booted gentoox directly from the font hack is because it can't be done.....Although I really don't see why it shouldn't work. An vmlinuz is a vmlinuz and a initrd is an initrd, gentoox or no gentoox.
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

I understand what you're saying now, didn't before ;)
Basically I've got default.xbe and linuxconfig on C:
Begging your pardon if you've already answered this, but have you signed your default.xbe against the font-hack?
Maybe the reason that I can't find anyone who has booted gentoox directly from the font hack is because it can't be done..... Although I really don't see why it shouldn't work
I agree with you that it should work, providing it's been signed by you with xbedump.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

FYI, it does work if its signed.
tundog
Linux User

Post by tundog »

No, I haven't signed it. I'll try that out now. That will probably fix it.

What's going on behind the scenes with the signature? Does the font hack place a new key in memory essentilly adding a new valid key, thus allowing us to run other xbe's once signed with said key?
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Hehe..I didn't sign my gentoox.xbe. I only followed the README with gentoox:
Quick installation info:

Copy everything to the root of /E/ on your xbox, then launch E:\gentooxx.xbe from EvoX ONLY!
This wont work from XBMP or boXplorer etc...
Worked fine, and still works...

Edit: forgot to mention I use the font exploit with Phoenix loader - no chip...