HDD

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

ok im not sure what i did but i am now able to save files to the e drive just fine but the free space isnt enough for pretty much anything. but everything on the f drive is write protected and i cant turn it off. although i was somehow ble to create som files and folders by accident but i cant do anything to them at all and i cant create anything else withougnt it giving me an error. but asfter the error the file i try to create shows up eventually. this is very wierd. i even tried unlocking the xbox hdd, but it didnt help.
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

try this

unmount f
then do this as you user.
type id and get the user id
switch back to root

mount -t fatx /dev/hda55 /mnt/fatx/f -o rw,uid=<youruseridnumber>,umask=0000

see if that works
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

how do i unmount f, it keeps saying that the f drive is buisy and it wont let me unmount it in konsole.
Sjoer
Linux User

Post by Sjoer »

maybe you are in f? or another user is using something on f?

or force it to unmount -f f
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

nope im the only one logged in and im at the desktop and using only konsole so i can type the command and i still get the error
Sjoer
Linux User

Post by Sjoer »

tried "umount -f"
Chiron
Linux User

Post by Chiron »

Hi. Also,if Azureus is trying to save files that exceeds the limitations of the fatx-naming convention, it won't make it anyway. For example filenames with commas,% sign,etc. In aMule,you can rename the output-files,but I haven't found a way to rename torrent-files yet. Anyone have ideas for solutions to this? The torrents that contains ordinary letters/numbers+-_ etc will work,though. :-)

Best regards
ChiRon
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

ok so should i usually be logging in as gentoox because ive always been logging in as root. is that going to cause a problem? plus i still am unable to unmount the fdrive if you pute the - before its not really unmounting the actual f drive.
Sjoer
Linux User

Post by Sjoer »

-f is a flag to FORCE

try umount --help

you need to put the drive after it!

btw there is a handy programma called man!

try man umount and it WILL solve problems!
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

do i have to install man or is it already on there?
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

it in their..
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

ok i re\an man umount and i read through it, didnt help much. but it seems that the drive is always buisy because i inbtalled on f and the swap file is there. so it looks like in order to unmount f ill neew to move everything to e. i know that magic e-drive is disabled so how would i go about getting everything on e?
iccaros
Adept

Post by iccaros »

ok I fixed it.. not the best way....

I backed up all my stuff using ed@chip and well F using other *software* to my pc..

I let gentoo format the drives fatx and did a non-native f install.

then I copied everything back..

now when I look at F I see everythign and no more messed up stuff.. I have a smartxx chip so when I am done with this box I will cone its drive to my other 2.
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

ive reinstalled gentoox about 4 times now. do i need to do a fresh uninstall? or do i need to have it intiate the drives or what?