fatx name limitation

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
mikeraach

fatx name limitation

Post by mikeraach »

I'm setting up my xbox to be my dedicated torrent leacher/seeder, however I've ran into an interesting issue.

I'm assuming fatx has a limitation of file name length? Whenever I start some torrents I get this error:

trouble accessing files - invalid mode: wb+

This would be fixed if I formatted my hd to native linux yes? (BTW, I am downloading it to my f drive becuase my e drive partition is almost full).
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I think the fatx limit is 48 characters, I'm not sure if that is your problem, if it is it will be solved by a native filesystem.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
mikeraach

Post by mikeraach »

Oops, I meant to put this in the general Q&A, not the MCE forum...
mikeraach

Post by mikeraach »

It actually seems like the limit is 40 characters (or so..). Here's my situation though:

I need my default fatx partition so I can use my xbox to not only run gentoo but to also play my xbox (and use my F partition). I also need to have some large files and long filenames on my xbox (and thus I need a native or loopback device to use with linux).

I see that fatx can only support 4gigs, but is there a way to make two 4 gig loopback partitions and merge them together in linux?

I've never seen or heard of something like this in the years I've used linux so I dont think it exists, but I figure I'd ask. I think my only resolution to my problem would be to not use fatx and use a native linux filesystem.
mikeraach

Post by mikeraach »

Hmm.....got raid?

Anyone try this on a xbox?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I'm looking into it, not sure if you can RAID loopbacks
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?