Mount External USB Hard Drive

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
honukele
Novice

Mount External USB Hard Drive

Post by honukele »

I have spent the better part of two days trying to do this. I think I just need to know what commands to use. I have a 80 Gig USB harddrive (ACOMDATA) that I use on my PC. I want to use it to transfer files to the XBOX. I have installed supermount per this post: viewtopic.php?t=688&highlight=supermount

Also, the box seems to recognize the drive. When I to a dmesg it shows USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE DETECTED.

I don't know how to figure out WHAT to mount (sda1, etc.) I'm sure all that I need are some commands and I could get on with my life. So:

1) Do I have to go into a terminal and manually mount the drive every time?
2) If so, what are the commands to (1) determine what the device is mapped to (/dev/???) and (2) get it mounted.
3) If I make an fstab entry, will the drive automaticallly mount? Do I have to connect it prior to booting gentoo?
4) What should the fstab entry look like?
5) Once it is mounted, will it appear under the fstab link in xffm? If not, then where?

If I could get this thing mounted, I would be the happiest guy in my whole valley.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I've found that mounting stuff like this is trial and error. First off, make sure you have ide-scsi compiled into the kernel, secondly, make sure you have scsi-disk and scsi-general support compiled in.

Then, try running fdisk /dev/sda .... fdisk /dev/sdb .... etc until something shows up. When it does show up, make note of the partition numbers (e.g. sda1, sda2)... then try mounting those with: mkdir /mnt/usb; mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
honukele
Novice

Post by honukele »

Thanks. I'll check the scsi settings. I have not changed any settings from the Gentoox install. Are you saying these scsi settings are not enabled by default?

I'll try the fdisk command, as well. I assume, then that I'll be manually mounting this drive every time I need to use it? I think I read something about hotplug scripts and whatnot. I'll look into that once I get the thing working manually.