question about new bootloader and /boot partition

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Schultz
Novice

question about new bootloader and /boot partition

Post by Schultz »

First thank you shallex i can now start trying to make my full customized native install. (Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions about it)

First was going to ask will the boot loader read the .cfg file from /boot for the Native section of the boot loader? I am just wondering these for future tests.

second i was going to ask are you going to make magic check and update /boot along with /mnt/fatx/e or especially update /boot if it can't find a partition mounted at there when you are doing kernel updates. Because if i start modifiying all this then i will be worried about magic breaking stuff by not updating it and then trying to reboot.

Just wanting to get some information before I fully reformat everything how i want it. As with other thread i did some testing on ext3.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

1) Native installations are indicated by a linuxboot.cfg in the ROOT of the first partition marked as active on the hdd.

2) Unless you have MCE installed, magic will not go anywhere near /boot/linuxboot.cfg. This means you will need to copy across your own kernel when magic updates and update your linuxboot.cfg appropriately.

Gentoox itself does not support fully Native installations and I dont see it doing so in the near or even distant future. If users want it, they go it alone. Not even I use fully Native on my server because of the risks involved (my server doesnt have a working cd drive... so if Linux somehow broke, I would be in trouble).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

Ok thanks for the info.

I understand the risks but i am not too worried as my cd-rom is still working. And i have had to recover a few times as my reiserfs on the xbox totally crap out on me before.. had to do long time with ssh and dd to copy a partial image over to beable to extra the data i needed out of it.