gentoox pro on eject fix D.6

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
crabfish

gentoox pro on eject fix D.6

Post by crabfish »

Hi...

I have Evox D.6 eject fix bios, and I don't want to change that...
Duke 3d and so on..

the faqs didn't explain if stardust.iso would boot and install on that bios, without spoiling Evox meny and all.

Planing to use my box as a server on a lan two weeks away
kernel_sanders
Novice

If..

Post by kernel_sanders »

If you want to boot GentooX while a non-Cromwell BIOS is operating, you have to run it from the EvoX dash menu. Stardust should boot, just as long as you burn an Xbox-readable Cd (cd-rw). It's not going to fry your system just from booting the Stardust CD. Unless you select 'native' install. And even then, it will ask for confirmation. You'll prolly want to select F: as the install drive, as most people have more space on F: than E: . The gentoox xbe will still be on E: . So after installing, you can go to E: in boxplorer and get the exact file name (gentoox.xbe or gentooxx.xbe).
For Xbox Linux specific questions, there's the GentooX Forums. For everything else, there's the Gentoo Forums.
crabfish

Post by crabfish »

Yes but if I select native install, will it flash my bios with cromwell?
And if I aint suposed to do native how should i do?
Could one simply copy all files via boxplorer to E: or is compiling needed for the sys and kernel also?
kernel_sanders
Novice

Pick E: or F:

Post by kernel_sanders »

Pick E: or F: . E: is for savegames and F: empty. F: is where all the space you get from upgrading the Xbox hdd goes. So you prolly want to pick F:. You need Cromwell if you do the Native install. Otherwise, use any non-MS bios you want for E: or F: installs (ie Xecuter, EvoX, etc)
For Xbox Linux specific questions, there's the GentooX Forums. For everything else, there's the Gentoo Forums.
crabfish

Post by crabfish »

ok...
so i will upon booting stardust be able to choose native / nonnative install?

Im a bit concerned cause i dont have any modchip. Just a flashed xbox mobo bios.

no noob on gentoo, just on xbox though
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

You can do a native install without bios flashing. Using the cromwell bios is purely optional, though native will totally wipe your F partition! I strongly recommend watching "WATCHME.rar" (in the downloads section!)
crabfish

Post by crabfish »

OK

Ive looked at Watchme now...
Now i will download gentoox.

Thanks for your help