300gb HDD?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
brucett
Novice

300gb HDD?

Post by brucett »

I have done a pro install onto the standard xbox hard drive, but as planned i now want to update to a larger hard drive. but i want to know a few questions.

1) If i ftp'd my whole linux setup over to my windows pc now, and then ftp'd back when the 300gb is installed, will it still work or will i have to program pro again?

2) If i removed the dvd drive and put the 300gb hd on that ide cable, will it be simple to set up?

thanks in advance.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

1. Yes, this will work fine, if you intend on using the drive just for linux you should really convert to a native partition. If you are going to use fatx on your drive you should consider using a seperate F and G drive as this seems to work best.

2. Yes this is quite easy to set up put the drive in set as slave and run fdisk on it using

Code: Select all

fdisk /dev/hdb
then create a single partition and write the table to the disk.
Create a reiserfs filesystem using

yes | mkreiserfs /dev/hdb1
The create a mount point and mount the new partion

mkdir /mnt/newdrive
mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/newdrive
lastly add a new line in fstab to make the drive mount on boot.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
brucett
Novice

Post by brucett »

went for option 1 in the end and installed a 200gb, the problem is i cant link to my f drive in the samba smb.conf. Can somebody give me some code to like share music from f/music/ . At the moment i am using the path below but it doesnt seem to work.
mnt/fatx/f/music/
brucett
Novice

Post by brucett »

after a bit of research i realise i need to do some playing about with the settings.

Can someone please give me a quick explanation on how to get samba up and running on the f-drive, sharing files.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The samba config is pretty easy start with something simple

[music]
path = /mnt/fatx/f/music
Then reload samba

/etc/init.d/samba reload
You don't have to reload samba but it speeds things up.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
brucett
Novice

Post by brucett »

I used the above code and everything worked ok! cheers.

Just waiting to get my next 200gb hard drive to replace the dvd then i will try out the little tut you wrote first.

thanks