Unmerge old kernels to make more space?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Chiron
Linux User

Unmerge old kernels to make more space?

Post by Chiron »

Hi.

I wonder if it's safe to delete or unmerge the old kernel-sources in file:/usr/src ? These dirs take up about 150-190Mb each,and my rootfs has only 45Mb free space left. I use XFCE,but haven't tried unmerging KDE,since I believe there's libraries that X11 or linux needs to start up.Is this true? Does anyone have any tips on how to make more space on rootfs without using magic newfs? That would surely be my christmas-present. :)

Merry Xmas everyone!
-ChiRon
-ChiRon
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

It should be safe to delete all your kernel sources that your are not using. Also check the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles it is safe to delete everything in there.

Unmerging KDE will gain you some space, you could try running

Code: Select all

emerge unmerge kde && emerge depclean && revdep-rebuild
Be careful though this may break your system.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Chiron
Linux User

Post by Chiron »

Thank you nobspangle! You're always a very helpful friend. :-D

Hmm... if removing KDE *may* break my system,I'll just try the other two options you mentioned. Are there any factors I can look out for, so that I won't break my system when unmerging KDE,or am I dependent on pure luck? I have to say that I'm not a linux-guru,rather a "normal" linux user if there's such a thing. ;-)

Best regards.
-ChiRon
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you can unmerge kde in complete safety the trick is removing the dependencies without breaking your system, you can safely remove any with kde in the name.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?