Xebian or GentooX?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!

Xebian or GentooX as a Server Platform?

Xebian
9%
GentooX
64%
Nothing between them!
27%

Total votes: 11

digitalbanana

Xebian or GentooX?

Post by digitalbanana »

Currently have Xebian, as thought that was the only distro available for the xbox 'platform'. My question is, should I change to GentooX for using my Xbox as a file server + apache + mysql + php + the odd game server?

Are there any outstanding benefits of using gentoox?

Is it hard to setup, as it has taken me a while to get used to linux on Xebian and the above are all woking nicely! But on the odd occasion I would still like to play games on it :) so i dont want to format any HDs wil linux filesystems.

Cheers
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Whose forums are you on?

:wink:

Gentoox should be faster to run, easier, and has a larger community. Plus, ShALLaX can kick Ed's ass at Quake.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Gentoox receives more frequent updates (intermediate updated via magic)... I believe its easier to install and, yes, it _should_ be faster because of the compile flags. This is a bit of a troll message though... you cant expect me to say "YSE GO USE XEBIANS!!!" can you? Hehe, this forum as well as the website is run on an Xbox, so judge for yourself ;)
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Tsuroerusu
Novice

Post by Tsuroerusu »

Definitely Gentoox, much faster, portage is eaisier to use than apt-get. 8)
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

I think both are good and worth putting on the xbox. In some places Xebian takes an upper hand and in some Gentoox. If you have the time and patience you should personally try both and get a feel for it.

HTH
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Agreed - try them both, use which one you prefer.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Tsuroerusu
Novice

Post by Tsuroerusu »

vplayer wrote:Hi,

I think both are good and worth putting on the xbox. In some places Xebian takes an upper hand and in some Gentoox. If you have the time and patience you should personally try both and get a feel for it.

HTH
Yeah, to each his own :wink:

The reason I like Gentoox more than Xebian, is that I have never been able to get apt-get to work and I had major problems with the sound system.