Emerge Unmerge :anything KDE as I have XFCE

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
sharon
Novice

Emerge Unmerge :anything KDE as I have XFCE

Post by sharon »

A question, If i wanted to strip down Home 3.1, what would be safe to unmerge?

I already unmerged "kde"...now is is alright to unmerge other items that has kde in their name?

These:

kde-env
kde-i18n
kdeaccessibility
kdeaddons
kdeartwork
kdebase
kdeedu
kdegames
kdegraphics
kdelibs
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork
kdepim
kdetoys
kdeutils
kdewebdev

Can someone provide me a simple list that I can unmerge or tell me which ones not to unmerge.

I already got XFCE running, with Xmms and alsa player, mozilla and openoffice.

Sometimes I think silly, do please don't flame me if it is already there...but please give me a thread with the link.

Thank you.

EDIT: Couldn't wait, already unmerged all the above.
lol
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you could also try running
emerge -pv depclean
and see what it turns up, if you are happy to loose everything it suggests, run it again without the -pv
After that it is worth running revdep-rebuild to make sure you aren't missing anything vital
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

What does "emerge depclean" do?

Are thoose listed not used by the system, already in the system but never used?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

emerge depclean looks at your packages in /var/lib/portage/world and your use flags and from that works out which packages you should have installed. It then uninstalls any other packages on your system. When you install kde it is just a wrapper for all the packages that it needs, you should be able to unmerge kde then run depclean and have it remove everything else.

The problem arises when you change your use flags,
e.g. you compile php with mysql support (USE="mysql") this will compile and install mysql as well. Mysql is now a runtime dependency for php (php needs it to work). If you change your USE flags to -mysql then run depclean, the system will assume you no longer need mysql and uninstall it. This will break php as php needs it to run. To fix this you can run revdep-rebuild which examines your binaries and looks for missing links to libraries. If it finds them it recompiles the package, which should remove the dependency.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

I tried the "emerge depclean -pv" first. It showed around 100 out of 400 packages to be unmerged and did not show any problems. The next thing I ran "emerge depclean".....it did its work.

Then I tried "revdep-rebuild -pv"...it showed some links missing. Then I ran "revdep-rebuild", it cameup saying something about "accept keywords" and could not perform its job. THen I did not know what to do. I tried again and it said the same thing.

Anyways, I "reboot" the system. On the TV everything started with the status "OK". I use my laptop to work with gentoox using "ssh, samba, proftpd, webmin, vnc and others". Well I tried ssh and vnc...it would not connect.

Then not to waste any more time on trying to solve this I FTPed the backed up rootfs and went back to suare 1.

I can still try the "emerge depclean" a nd try different methods. I need some help on what should I do regarding the "acceptkeywords" when running "revdep-rebuild".

My aim was to free some space on rootfs....is this the way to do it? Does it also take care of unnecessary processess running on gentoox and make it run faster?

Or still how should my USE flags be since I have the following working on the Xbox:

open office, media player, alsa player, acroread, php, proftpd, webmin, ssh, apache2, mysql, xfce, phpwebsite, samba, cupsd, bittorrent, the editors, etc..lol
mikEdub

Post by mikEdub »

what exactly did it say about ACCEPT_KEYWORDS? accept keywords isnt' set in gentoox by default becuase that tells portage to use unstable/testing packages.
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

Of the 100 portages that was unmerged, it said it needed to emerge some to make it stable, and Accept keywords had to be specified, but I did not know which ones needed acceptkeywords.

Anyways, I will leave the present system running for sometime.....I will try tweking it sometime nextweek.