problem with magic

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
hashmire421

problem with magic

Post by hashmire421 »

i wasnt allowed to have internet for a while im my room and i was kinda stupid and tryed magic with no internet it came up with the thing looking for updates but of courese didnt work

now im trying it with inet but it says cannot execute bianary file or somthing even without inet
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

Most commonly magic doesn't run due to wrong time and date setting. There is a tut on setting it right. Try that....just a guess and good luck.
hashmire421

Post by hashmire421 »

i just went and tried it and it still says that can anyone help!?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

whats the error.. How do you know that you have internet. Can you open the browser after loging into gentoox and go to websites.

Do you have a static ip or a dynamic ip address on your xbox.

HTH
hashmire421

Post by hashmire421 »

the error is "/bin./magic: cannot execute binary file" with out quotes i can get on the internet with the konquer browser but not firefox im using kde and have tried xfce
i have a static ip
THanx for ur time
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

Do you have your resolv.conf correct.

http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... e&artid=15

That link tells you how to setup static ip. Your ISP’s nameservers need to be right for magic to work.

HTH
hashmire421

Post by hashmire421 »

i already did all that can someone please help me?!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

what happens if you type
/bin/magic
instead of just magic
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

now im trying it with inet but it says cannot execute bianary file or somthing even without inet

error is "/bin./magic: cannot execute binary file"
You always get an error message and most of the error messages in unix are clear. Hope you can give more info.

what happens when you type magic and press enter.. whats the first couple of lines/things that happen.

You also have typed /bin./magic There should not be a "." after the bin

hope that helps you out
hashmire421

Post by hashmire421 »

I also have a problem with emerge but ill ask that later its not important

no i am going to go try typing /bin/magic

what it does right after i type "magic" is it skips a line and then says
"/bin/magic: cannot execute binary file" thats all it does i signed in as root and dont bash me im a noob to linux and unix
slobber

Post by slobber »

I apologize beforehand, but I'm a n00b to. IIRC the first thing that "magic" did when I ran it was to "emerge sync". You might try typing that at the "root #" prompt. I'll forewarn you though, running an emerge sync will take a long time to complete, especially if you are getting a full kernel update. By "long" I mean, don't plan on playing your Xbox the rest of the night. It will take hours as it has to compile the kernel. I'm not certain about this, but I think "emerge sync" is akin to running Windows Update, except that the first time you run it, it's basically downloading, compiling and installing a full linux system, whereas Windows, since it's already installed and everything, will only download and install the updates, not the whole Windows kernel.

Someone please correct me if I am totally out of whack on this one. As I said, I'm a n00b to. I ran "magic" and it took all night the first time.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

on the above post

all emerge sync does is synchronises your portage tree with the ones on the gentoo mirrors. This is a bunch of files that tell gentoo how to compile packages (where to get files from, which patches to apply etc.) it should take about 15 minutes on an xbox, but it will vary depending on how long since you last did the update. It doesn't seem to make much difference how fast you Internet connection is because you are transfering loads of very small files. Dial-up might slow you down a bit, but it's not really any faster over a 100Mb LAN connection.

magic will often compile a new kernel and the first time you run it on a fresh install it will take all night to complete.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?