How Gentoo arrived to Xbox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
LovelyPervert
Linux User

How Gentoo arrived to Xbox

Post by LovelyPervert »

Hallo everybody. I'm really interested in understanding steps that takes to a porting of a linux distribution to Xbox.
I'm writing here 'cause i think (and hope) that Shallax (or someone with a big experience like him) can help me to undestand things and specially give me some good links to interesting articles.
What do i need to now to begin distro porting?
Which are the steps that have to be followed??
Many thanks to everybody that will help me and sorry for my english that is so rusted.
Lovely
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

Basicly if i remeber right, no the gentoo forums iwe read when shallax started using gentoo on xbox.. only difference he had made was change some lines in local.start and applied the xbox-kernel patches?

Basicly, if you wan't to port a distrobution, all you need to do is make support for your platform in the port.. Eg on xbox the biggest support is the kernel.. then shallax has allso made some tools, eg fanctl xboxtemp etc.. So once he had a working gentoo installation on his xbox, he just put it eg on a virtual drive.

Shallax couldn't include his patches in portage so he made his evil magic script and uses that to update/apply xbox-"critical" patches to your box..

Now there are ebuilds for most of the things though, like xorg and xfree.. the xbox-sources etc.. So its very easy to build gentoo from scratch for an xbox

Allso to make it easy for everyone new, he has pre configured all the important stuff for gentoo(x) . And to make his port he's most likely compiled from an stage1 installation (with p3 optimizations etc)

Sorry if i talk messily, im just very tired :P
LovelyPervert
Linux User

Post by LovelyPervert »

Your help is really appreciated, thanks! I'll work on it as soon as i'll have five minutes of free time...
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

There are 3 things to "porting" a distro to the Xbox.

1) Bootloader (Cromwell)
2) Kernel
3) Xfree

And I guess you could throw ALSA in there for sound support.

1) and 2) have been done for you, 3 will require you just shoving in the nv_drv.o from xbox-linux CVS into place and setting up a correct XF86Config file.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

ShALLaX wrote:There are 3 things to "porting" a distro to the Xbox.

1) Bootloader (Cromwell)
2) Kernel
3) Xfree

And I guess you could throw ALSA in there for sound support.

1) and 2) have been done for you, 3 will require you just shoving in the nv_drv.o from xbox-linux CVS into place and setting up a correct XF86Config file.
Don't forget about xorg :), i for one do NOT support xfree
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Bah.. X.org is far from supported on the Xbox ;p
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo