vfat is doing me wrong... (maybe I'm doing IT wrong...)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
aarkvard
Novice

vfat is doing me wrong... (maybe I'm doing IT wrong...)

Post by aarkvard »

I am trying to transfer files by mounting a vfat (fat32) disk as hdb1.

It mounts fine and I can copy files, but some of the files refuse to copy. They won't copy by using a PC either with \\xbox and copy and paste, I get "invalid file handle". I have tried "relaxed" vs. "strict" and that did not help. The permissions appear to be acceptable but maybe I don't understand permissions.

The error in Gentoox is within xffm, and it was either invalid argument or invalid operation (I'm at work, don't have it w/ me). The majority of the files copy, but select one's do not, even individualy. They do play/copy fine in windows.

Also, mp3's have a "slightly grainy, machine-like vibration" during playback in linux. This is not a huge deal, as there are other ways of using them, but Linux would be ideal. (Both players, any file, does not happen in dashboards)

Any ideas?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

are the file names valid on a linux file system?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
aarkvard
Novice

well...

Post by aarkvard »

I don't know the answer to that, I am assuming no. But it is valid for Win2k on Fat32 or NTFS. As it turns out, this also happens in the dashboard via FTP, making it a file naming problem period, not a Linux problem.

A sample problem name is...

Donkey Kong Country 2 (Diddy's Kong Quest).smc

...and if I take out the "2", it becomes globally acceptable.

The only way I have found around it is to mount a drive as a DOS file system, but I would like to stay as close to the original file names as possible and this truncates everything.

So, I don't know how it is that no one else has had this problem...
I'm now looking for something to automatically rename all my files appropriately, if there is such a thing.

Do you know of any more feasible solutions?
aarkvard
Novice

ARGH!! Nevermind...

Post by aarkvard »

Problem solved, this is a limitation of the FATX file system...

"Adjusts folder and filenames so they fit the rules for the XBox FAT-X filesystem (42 characters max with most accented characters missing)"

http://www.coolstf.com/XBMPSync/

ARGH!

So, still, do you know of a good renamer per chance?
aarkvard
Novice

Post by aarkvard »

Thanks for your help.

I am now using:

"File Renamer Ultra 2000" with recursive support for removing commas... (my now least favorite character)

and

"High Fiber" to check for names that are wrong for another reason.

Gracias, and good night.