PCSX on Gentoox?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
skilayers

PCSX on Gentoox?

Post by skilayers »

Hello all,

First of all, let me say that I am a newb when it comes to linux and gentoo(x), but I have a TON of general computer experience (including Mac OS X CLI stuff). I've played with Xebian some, but Gentoox is more to my taste (and the built in VNC in NICE!) Now, I read that you can get a PSX (playstation) emulator running under Xbox Linux that can natively read a playstation CD without having to rip it to bin/cue files.

So...

I tried

Code: Select all

emerge pcsx
and everything seemed to install fine, and the emulator launches, but when I try to run a game I get:

CDR: Could not open /dev/cdrom, working as a null plugin
Xlib:  extension "XFree-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
Mesa GLX Indirect
in the terminal and

Could not load Cdrom
in the GUI

This is the list of plugins that emerge installed with PCSX:
Pete's MesaGL Driver 1.1.75
P.E.Op.S. ALSA Audio Driver 1.1.7
Linuzappz X Windows Pad Driver 1.1.6
Linuzappz Cdr Driver 1.1.8
Internal HLE Bios

Can anyone help me out, or point me in the right direction? The general xbox-linux website doesn't seem to have any support forums or I'd ask there.

Thanks,
skinlayers
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

It may be that the emulator requires 3D support which is not available in xbox-linux
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

The emulator doesn't need 3d card it uses a plugin system and there's a software renderer plugin (It's slow on the xbox). I had epsxe running on the xbox but I had to run it 1/4 screen to get decent framerate.

My playstation pad worked fine though using a usb converter I have for my pc.

If linux ever gets 3d drivers I think that epsxe would kick ass more than enough power but with having to render the graphics in software it's too slow.

PCSX would almost certainly be too slow as well.

http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

Oh an EPSXE is only available in precompiled binaries.
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.