Is a native install possible without flashing the bios?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
¡Mysto!
Novice

Is a native install possible without flashing the bios?

Post by ¡Mysto! »

I was just about to install gentoox (again :lol: ) by my usual method of ftp, as I never have any cdr's lying around. When I stubled upon this native install thingy, I'm lucky enough to have a 2gb F: partition that came with my xbox (you know what I mean), so I was wondering is it possible to install natively without flashing the bios, has anyone tried?
scoobydu
Linux Expert

Post by scoobydu »

where is the native install then? I've installed the new version of pro, and still haven't found it?

Also, I can't get out of 1024x768 mode!!

not sure whats going on here ...
ViRAL
Novice

native

Post by ViRAL »

about that hdd thing, i have the seagate 10.4gb, when i formated my f: it woz only 1.9 gb tho??? when i did a native(without bios) it had an error while extracting rootfs in stardust, i'm guessing cos not enough space. does 100mb really make dat much diff.?
energyBB
Linux User

Post by energyBB »

You don't have to use the Cromwell BIOS for it - take a look at Xromwell which is an XBE that is designed to boot Gentoox even with a hacked BIOS such as the Xecuter2 ones. As long as you leave all the necessary bootup files on the E drive, you should be able to boot Gentoox by running the XBE.

Ideally, reflash your BIOS with one that can start up e:\gentooxx.xbe or something as a secondary bootup option. In layman's terms: download XBTool, download the latest Xecuter2 BIOS, change 'NeXgen.xbe' to 'gentooxx.xbe' and make sure that you press the UP button on the left hand side of the executable filename. Now it should read E:\gentooxx.xbe. Reflash it.

What this does is boot up e:\gentooxx.xbe after the power-up test if it can't find the C:\evoxdash.xbe file first. This way you can take a second harddrive, install it using the 'native' option, and have it automatically boot Linux when you put it in your Xbox.
¡Mysto!
Novice

Post by ¡Mysto! »

I have the same drive as viral, and it tells me it is not big enough