Gdm failed

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
tankgirl
Linux User

Out of date??

Post by tankgirl »

@DOGSMAN
Let met get this right. You did the "emerge -uD automake" and now your install is f*****. That sucks. I was just about to try it. I think i'll leave it for now.

@nobspangle
How can my system be out of data? If i've just done a new install. And magic fails at installing gdm. I'm using home 3.0c. That would mean that that is out of date. This can not be right.
Avayxn

Post by Avayxn »

Hey,

had the same problem, just emerging automake (no deep) did it for me.

Greets Av
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

gentoo (the basis for gentoox) is a fairly bleeding edge system, the portage tree is updated 48 times a day.

Gentoox 3.0c was released a long time ago, when it was released a different version of gnome (and gdm) was available in the portage tree. It looks like the new version requires different versions of dependencies. If this is the case (I don't know I don't tend to have a gui on my linux systems) there may be a bug posted for it, I've had a quick look and couldn't find one.

To make everything work on a fresh gentoox install, do the following
emerge sync
emerge automake
magic

Gankoholik your problem with firefox is different it says you've run out of space. Try deleting the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles then try again.

To save you having problems like this you need to do regular
emerge sync
emerge -uD world

but be carefull when you merge the configs, follow the advice in the tutorials section, never merge checkroot or fstab. If you think you've merged something by mistake, don't reboot. Run emerge uhoh

edited to fix automake/conf error
Last edited by nobspangle on Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
tankgirl
Linux User

autoconf???

Post by tankgirl »

@nobspangle: is that emerge autoconf or emerge automake.
before i was told to do an emerge automake
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

sorry automake
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
tankgirl
Linux User

sweet

Post by tankgirl »

nobspangle, i have only one thing to say........
absolutly f***** magic.
I did exactly what you said. and it worked.
thanks for the help. :D
kaisersose

Post by kaisersose »

how many ppl is magic actually workin for lately , I've tried it 4! times lately and it never works.

First time, magic finished and it asked to pick tv settings etc, but when it rebooted, the screen stayed black.

Then i done a fresh install , and this time magic didnt finish, it said displaytools failed.

So again, i done a fresh install and this time magic didnt finish and it said gdm failed.

So i done as it says above about emerge sync and automake after a fresh install, and tried magic yet again, and this time it just decided to turn off my xbox after about 4 hrs after doing 12 out of 21 things( whatever it does).

Is there any chance of a new version coming out cos im sick to death of installing this over and over again. I know shallax has done great work and im not complaining about that.

( and no there was no power cut, power surge etc and my network connection didnt stop)

Frustrated magic user
tankgirl
Linux User

Post by tankgirl »

do what nobspangle said and it will work.
The only problem i have now is that firefox has disappeard. :(
DOGSMAN, didn't you have the same problem?
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Yes i did Tankgirl. Everything is still naff so i'm gonna leave it for awhile cos i'm so annoyed. Back to xbconnect untill somebody finds the pot of gold. My biggest crapper is that it takes along time to find out everything is naff.
tankgirl
Linux User

Post by tankgirl »

Oke, i reinstalled firefox so it looks like i have a completely working box.
it took for ever to install though. something like 13 hours.
So that would meen with a lot of time it can all work out.
*ooohhh*
que music.
roll end titles
yes a happy ending :wink: