Gdm failed

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
DOGSMAN
Adept

Gdm failed

Post by DOGSMAN »

I've never encountered this prob. Everytime i run magic from a clean install it breaks.
The box goes through all the compiling for a couple of hours and stoped with a message saying "gdm failed". It's done this all 3 times that i've installed. Then when i reboot and go into xfce nothing works

Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/firefox"*(no such file or directory)

The only thing i'm doing different is installing Xfce4. I'm just about to do a fresh install so i'd be gratefull if somebody can help before i run magic again.
tankgirl
Linux User

same problem here

Post by tankgirl »

I have the same problem.
I did an install. After looking around to see what gentoox is like i was realy pleased.
Then I ran magic.
It rans a while.... like a long time.
and then failed on gdm
i attempted to fix it with "magic fix gdm && magic"
but this fails again.
and to make it worse some stuff like VNC has disapeard.
i've reinstalled and done the same again.
but with the same result.
I checked around. All just say "magic fix gdm && magic" to solve the problem.
So. what the hell am i doing wrong.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Hi Tankgirl,
I originally done Magic with Xfce4 install and everything was naff. I installed without Xfce4 and still got the failed gdm naff but everything still works i think. I'm just emerging mplayer at the mo.
tankgirl
Linux User

Post by tankgirl »

@DOGSMAN

Have you tried: clean install -> running magic --> gdm fails --> reboot --> "its all gone tits up" --> magic fix gdm && magic -->....

i think i'm going to try that. i don't have much hope but still....
i'll let you know how it goes.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

I tell you what Tankgirl. Lets put this problem behind us and fix each other. I've now tried doing Magic through kde and still the same. I know magic has worked cos my res is ok and my logic 3 wireless controller works. But i still get gdm failed
Check network

I've installed many times before and never had probs with this prob. Something is amiss maybe?
Sweet dreems My one and only Tankgirl
tankgirl
Linux User

still no luck

Post by tankgirl »

lol,
well i'm still awake and a hard at work.
oke. i re installed.
and ran magic. with out xfce4. And yes gdm failed again.
I got this far:

Code: Select all

>>> emerge (7 of 21) x11-libs/gtk+-2.4.4 to /
>>> Downloading ftp://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo//distfiles/gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2
--23:12:50--  ftp://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo/distfiles/gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2
           => `/usr/portage/distfiles/gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2'
Resolving ftp.easynet.nl... done.
Connecting to ftp.easynet.nl[195.86.128.57]:21... connected.
Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.
==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /mirror/gentoo/distfiles ... done.
==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2 ... done.
Length: 9,325,261 (unauthoritative)

100%[=========================================================>] 9,325,261    457.65K/s    ETA 00:00

23:13:12 (457.65 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2' saved [9325261]

>>> md5 src_uri ;-) gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2
>>> Unpacking source...
>>> Unpacking gtk+-2.4.4.tar.bz2 to /var/tmp/portage/gtk+-2.4.4/work
  [ ok ]ing gtk+-2.0.6-exportsymbols.patch...
  [ ok ]ing gtk+-2.2.1-disable_icons_smooth_alpha.patch...
  [ ok ]ing gtk+-2.4.1-define_sensible_icon_theme.patch...
x86
configure.in:46: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.7.5,
configure.in:46: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:46: comes from Automake 1.7.9.  You should recreate
configure.in:46: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.

!!! ERROR: x11-libs/gtk+-2.4.4 failed.
!!! Function src_unpack, Line 52, Exitcode 1
!!! (no error message)

Does this mean any thing to anybody?

AAAARRRRGGGGG
and vnc is gone again.

im glad i ftped the rootfs to my pc so i don't need to start from scratch again.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Means naff to me. Everything seems to work though now that i've ran magic wiyhout xfce4. God knows what the problem is as i've done this a million times and never encountered this prob. Same xbox and same pc.God knows
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

looks like you might need to upgrade your automake

emerge -uD automake
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Well i'me still
Code:
emerge -uD automake
After 4 hours and all looks cools so far
Gankoholik

Post by Gankoholik »

i saw this post last night. i have been having the same problem. tried emerge -uD automake. after several hours i got this message.

gcc -c -mno-mmx -ansi -pedantic -Wno-return-type -w   -I../common -I../scanpci -I../loader -I../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support              -I../../../../../programs/Xserver/include -I../../../../../exports/include/X11  -I../../../../../lib/font/include  -I../../../../.. -I../../../../../exports/include   -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE  -D_GNU_SOURCE   -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO   -DXF86CONFIG=\"XF86Config\" -DUSE_MODULES               -DHAS_NCURSES          -DPROJECT_ROOT=\"/usr/X11R6\"            -DXF86CONFIGDIR=\"/etc/X11\"   text-mode.c
In file included from text-mode.c:47:
loader.h:78: unnamed fields of type other than struct or union are not allowed
make[5]: *** [text-mode.o] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.3.0-r6/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf86cfg'
make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.3.0-r6/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86'
make[3]: *** [hw/xfree86] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.3.0-r6/work/xc/programs/Xserver'
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.3.0-r6/work/xc/programs'
make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xfree-4.3.0-r6/work/xc'
make: *** [install] Error 2

!!! ERROR: x11-base/xfree-4.3.0-r6 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 635, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
if anyone knows where to go from here please let mek no. this is very frustrationg becasue this is my 4th gentoo installation and this has never happened b4. if any one can help it would be greatly appreciated. Dogsman post your results when your finished emerging automake.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

This is what happened after 12 hours. I was left with config files to sort that i merged and now the box is naff again.Now the xbox will not even boot into Gentoox.
This is what happens when trying to reboot

Modprobe:can't locate module /dev/BOOT
Fsck.ext2:no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/BOOT/dec/BOOT:
the super block could not be read or does not describe a correctext2 filesystem.If the device is valid and it really contians an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the super block is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsk with an alternate super block:
e2fsk -b 8193 <device>
Give root password for maintinence.

I have'nt got a keyboard at the mo, will have again today and then i can try the manual fix thing.[/quote]
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

now you've broken it.

sounds like you've broken fstab and checkroot and probably a few others besides.

Perhaps uD wasn't such a good idea, I didn't realise your systems would be so out of date.

In any case the rules on merging config files (which is what has broken your system) always stand
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Gankoholik

Post by Gankoholik »

i reinstalled GentooX. Same issue occured. If this id going to keep happeneing can i please get some advice that will actually help.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

What do you mean Nobspangle that you did'nt realise my systems was so out of date?
And for gods sake why am i having this prob anyway!
Nothing has changed apart from what orriginally worked a million times now does not work
SAME BOX SAME PC.
Gankoholik

Post by Gankoholik »

thats exactly what i saying. how can my system be out of date? what makes mine out of date that isnt with yours. if any thing is out of date its this distro version. this thing is falling apart. now im getting this error on dm and with alot of other things i have tryed to compile using the EMERGE command.

p
rm -f libgkconxmldoc_s.a
ar cr libgkconxmldoc_s.a nsXMLContentSink.o nsXMLDocument.o nsXMLPrettyPrinter.o
ranlib libgkconxmldoc_s.a
ranlib: libgkconxmldoc_s.a: No space left on device
gmake[5]: *** [libgkconxmldoc_s.a] Error 1
gmake[5]: *** Deleting file `libgkconxmldoc_s.a'
gmake[5]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9.3/work/mozilla/content/xml/document/src'
gmake[4]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9.3/work/mozilla/content/xml/document'
gmake[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9.3/work/mozilla/content/xml'
gmake[2]: *** [libs] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9.3/work/mozilla/content'
gmake[1]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-firefox-0.9.3/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-www/mozilla-firefox-0.9.3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 206, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
emerge firefox has never failed befor. please nospangle or shallax please comment on this post. gentoo used to work perfect and recently its been falling apart. what is going on.