More customizable partitions in the future?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
bobdavis

More customizable partitions in the future?

Post by bobdavis »

First of all, thanks to SHaLLaX for a great, easy to install Linux distribution for everyone's favorite console. You've truly done a great job and it is appreciated.

With the advent of XBpartitioner, there are now a lot more possibilities when it comes to configuring the Xbox hard drive. Namely, it allows you to customize the size of all partitions from F: onward.

I was thinking that this would be great to make a separate partition so that Gentoox can run in native mode on an otherwise normal Xbox hard drive. However, my question is: would support for these other partitions be something that might appear in a future Gentoox release? I realize that Cromwell may not support it, but those who have a BIOS that does support the customized partition information could benefit. I apologize if this is an unreasonable request or if it would already be possible with some customization to the installer. If so, and anyone has any direction on where to go with this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

As I see it, you should have no problem installing gentoox on a custom size native partition, provided you know the exact block you want the partition to start at. Gentoox might have a problem with accessing the resized F drives, to fix this I think you will have to edit the kernel and possibaly cromwell.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Last i looked xbpartitioner was compiled with the XDK, so I'm never going to look into adding support for it, sorry.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
antiflag1980
Novice

Post by antiflag1980 »

Well, I'm sure since the code is now all out in the open I'm sure people like ozxodous and others who have legal xbox partitioning/formatting tools will eventually integrate the custom sizing into their software, so it's not always gonna be that if you have your hard disk partitions that are custom sizes that you're running xdk compiled code. What about then?
StickyIckyBud
Novice

Post by StickyIckyBud »

This post was made almost two years ago... and yet, I'm not aware of a open source XBpartitioner clone.

@ ShALLaX
are you saying that if someone were to come up with a OpenXDK build of XBpartitioner - you would add support for it?

Cause that would be great. Native installs are so much better, but one way or another lots of people are scared to give up that F drive.
tuckie
Linux User

Post by tuckie »

Its kind of on this note.... I used xbpartitioner to give my f drive (which takes up all remaining space on F) 32kb clusters in order to prevent getting errors past the 256gb mark. Is there any way to get any *nix to recognize that partition? (or is it something that I am doing wrong?). I don't think that this would take to big of a tweak, I just have no idea where to start.