Half-Life

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
shedt
Adept

Half-Life

Post by shedt »

this is a reply to a post i ade on Xbox-scene:
I've played Half-Life on my mac in virtual pc in software mode, and it was slow, alittle to slow to be playable.

I want to play the story mode, no multiplayer. No CS!

My imac is 450 mhz.... I would imagine once i get it set-up I will have fun with Half-life. I read in another thread that someone got it working, but there are really no details.

I am thinking about subscribing to winex, but i was looking too see if anyone had experience with using both for playing games in software mode.

as long as i can get a half-decent framerate playing the story mode i will be happy.

i am getting a usb adaptor, but i was wondering if anyone knew how i could map the controller buttons as keyboard keys?
I rather ask here though....

wine vs winex ?

I'm just starting out with linux, and i want to try and flesh out any ideas etc before i jump right in.

i would imagine running it in software will be slow, but not as slow as running it in a emu on a 450 mhz imac. IMHO

any ideas ? I have a feeling many of you here are like me, and enjoy a good challenge !

-edit-
plus i never played the story mode for Half-Life.... which is kinda sad if you are a gamer.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Cedega (formerly Winex) is a fork of Wine that has Direct3D support. Since Half-Life is 3d, it won't work on the Xbox. Period. Asterisk *.

* Until (if) the Xbox video card gets hacked.

PS: I never finished HL one-player either. ;(
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

hmm, I know there is no 3d drivers, but Half-Life has a software render...

it is slower, and does not having fancy effects transparentcies etc, but it should work. i'm going to look into this.

Trogdor, would you have a idea of how to map keyboard keys onto the controller ?

is there a program / driver that uses the controller as a mouse ? is it configrible ? sorry about the spelling.

if it is not thats is ok, i'm making a usb female connnector to xbox controller tonight .

thanks for the reply!
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Yup, there is software rendering. But, AFAIK, it will be so slow that it won't be practical. As for the controller->keyboard keys, you'd have to learn C to modify the drivers, AFAIK. The joystick should work as a mouse, no problem.

shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

well, no hurt in trying. i had it playing in software mode on my mac in virtual pc, alittle bit to slow to play, but it's only 450 mhz.

i read on Xbox-Scene someone got it running in software mode at a acceptable frame-frame, story mode only.

I figure if i try hard it should be able to get it going, if not at least i tried.

i'm going to make a controller-usb female connector now anyhows, so i won't be using the controller. thanks for the reply!

-shawn
shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

Minimum Requirements:
P133
24 MB RAM
SVGA
2x CD-ROM
http://lhl.linuxgames.com/

this is the site for running Half-Life in Linux with wine.

possible problems:

I'm a Gentoox noob, does it have- XFree86 4.0.1 or later (XFree86 4.2.0 is recommended for DRI users)
Alsa simply doesn't play nice with Wine.
is that the sound system with Gentoox ?

Also the they are using OpenGL, which we cannot use. The software mode should have no problems working.

Also, is there a way to run wine without a windows manager like xfce or kde ? could you drop too what ever the X window system runs on top of ?

sorry I am new to linux, but this is a nice way to learn :)

that way we would save much ram.

xfce only uses around 16 megs though correct ? that leaves a bit more then the min required of 24....

well time to search the forums and read...
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Yeah, the xbox would have XFree 4.3.x . ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Gentoox uses it. If you want something lighter that XFCE4, try emergeing icewm.

shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

I'm running kde right now for the heck of it. is icewm what you use Trogdor? I read it is really good and light on the ram.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

IceWM has, IMHO, the best compromise between features and size.