DHCP / Static Settings Not Working

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
linuxinit

DHCP / Static Settings Not Working

Post by linuxinit »

Ok, heres the problem. In my dash, when I'm connected to my computer it says my ip is 192.168.0.3. Ok, then I set my computer IP to 192.1638.0.4. This works fine for ftping into my xbox from the dash. But I only have this problem with gentoox. It wont connect to anything. I know its not the hardware, because its the same as with my dash. It wont connect to my computer or even straight into a modem. Ok, not to connect my computer to my xbox, i have to change my settings and set the ip manualy. Easy enough. The thing that I dont understand is, why doesnt gentoox see the dhcp server. It still gives me the default ip, connected to the modem or computer. My computers network settings are as follows:
IP: 68.113.85.1
Subnet: 255.255.252.0
Gateway: 68.113.84.1
DHCP Server: 68.114.39.2
DNS Servers:24.196.17.8
Why wont these settings work for gentoox. I have slackware, and rh9 on my computer, and they both work fine with these settings. I'm getting a new computer in a few weeks and will be getting a router or adding some ethernet cards and turning this computer into a router. My point is, do I have to have a router to make the xbox go online. I'm tired of downloading the sources to my computer, then ftping them throught the dash to my e partition, then running gentoox and copying them to my rootfs, and then compiling and installing by hand. I dont mind the compiling and installing, but the copying things around is getting old, and im tired of having to reboot eveytime i change my computers network settings. Is there any other way or workaround to get my xbox online. Sorry for the long post as I have tried to provide as much info as possible.

linuxinit
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Have you got a dhcp server running on your PC? Sounds like the xbox dash is just guessing some settings.
Your xbox will work fine connected directly to the Internet. It should pick up its IP from the dhcp server at 68.114.39.2 if this doesn't happen just set the IP address and that manually in /etc/conf.d/net the instructions are inside the file. Then put your dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf (same as you would on rh9 or slackware) and you should be away.

This is assuming you have an Internet connection that doesn't require a login or where the login is handled by the modem. If you are using PPPoE DSL then you will need to install PPP
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
linuxinit

Post by linuxinit »

No, I'm on cable, DSL was slow. So I'm always connected, and no, there isnt a dhcp server on my pc. The dhcp server is some charter server I assume.

I already tried setting it up manually. Nothing. I cant even ping. Maybe im doing something wrong. I'll get a dump of my config file and post it. Am I right that I should use the same settings that my pc uses, besides the mac address? Is there somewhere that I can set the dhcp server address. I didnt see it in the config file. I'll mess around with it some more and see if I can get it working.

linuxinit
linuxinit

Post by linuxinit »

# /etc/conf.d/net:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/conf.d/net,v 1.7 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

# Global config file for net.* rc-scripts

# This is basically the ifconfig argument without the ifconfig $iface
#

###
# If you want to set your IP to static, uncomment this next line and
# fill in the appropriate details.
###

iface_eth0="68.113.85.1 broadcast 68.113.85.255 netmask 255.255.252.0"
#iface_eth1="207.170.82.202 broadcast 207.0.255.255 netmask 255.255.0.0"

# For DHCP set iface_eth? to "dhcp"
# For passing options to dhcpcd use dhcpcd_eth?
#

###
# If you want to set your IP to static, comment out this next line.
###

#iface_eth0="dhcp"
#dhcpcd_eth0="..."

# For adding aliases to a interface
#
#alias_eth0="192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4"

# NB: The next is only used for aliases.
#
# To add a custom netmask/broadcast address to created aliases,
# uncomment and change accordingly. Leave commented to assign
# defaults for that interface.
#
#broadcast_eth0="192.168.0.255 192.168.0.255"
#netmask_eth0="255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0"

# For setting the default gateway
#

###
# If you want to set your IP to static, uncomment this next line and
# fill in the appropriate details.