Unable to su to root or login console at all

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
anewsome

Unable to su to root or login console at all

Post by anewsome »

Weird problem here and I thought maybe someone else has experienced it. I'm not a Linux newbie, I've been using it for about 9 years but I've never seen this problem. I can track it down if neccessary, but if someone else is experiencing this and know of the fix, it would sure save me some time.

What does work:

1.) xbox boots to X11 / Kde no problem as user gentoox. I can open a terminal in KDE and do all sorts of stuff as user gentoox.

2.) login over ssh as root, gentoox or as the user I created. This all works with no problem and has been the primary way I've worked with the xbox, getting it setup, emerging packages, etc

What does not work:

1.) ALT+F* to a virtual terminal on the console of the xbox and logging in as anybody. No matter who I try to login as *on the console*, the login fails.

2.) su to root from a regular user. If I login via ssh as user gentoox, I can not su to root. This is mind boggling.

Anyone else experiencing this weirdness. Other than this and a few freevo mishaps I'm working through, gentoox has already reach ass kickin status in my book. Good job ShALLaX.
rocketeer
Pro

Re: Unable to su to root or login console at all

Post by rocketeer »

anewsome wrote: What does not work:

2.) su to root from a regular user. If I login via ssh as user gentoox, I can not su to root. This is mind boggling.

Blah blah. Good job ShALLaX.
Make sure the user is in the "wheel" group.