How do i get Linux to play shockwave and video media

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
TZac

How do i get Linux to play shockwave and video media

Post by TZac »

I have gentoox home 2.1 installed. I use the konqueror web browser but I can't view shockwave with it. ALso I can't stream or download and play windows media files, real player files or quicktime files. I can download or install the above apps because there wasn't a compatible version on the download site. I was just wondering if there is anyway I can view the above media?btw I don't have the xbox hooked up to a keyboard.
Thanks.
bikr
Novice

Post by bikr »

there is a linux version of flash player.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

i had trouble installing the linux flashplayer to use with konqueror so i used mozilla instead cos it has a built flash
coolcheeze

Post by coolcheeze »

the only way to do shockwave is to use crossover-office..... i think you can compile in support for other formats into mplayer....... crossover-office also lets u use quicktime and realplayer too...... its not free but it does come with a trial version to let u check it out.... im not sure as to whether or not it will run on the x-box version though... .ud just have to try it.
JusKickNit
Novice

Post by JusKickNit »

coolcheeze wrote:the only way to do shockwave is to use crossover-office..... i think you can compile in support for other formats into mplayer....... crossover-office also lets u use quicktime and realplayer too...... its not free but it does come with a trial version to let u check it out.... im not sure as to whether or not it will run on the x-box version though... .ud just have to try it.

If this is true what are these.
net-www/gplflash
net-www/netscape-flash
media-video/realplayer
media-video/realone
media-libs/libquicktime
media-libs/openquicktime
media-libs/quicktime4linux
fuz
Power user

Post by fuz »

If this is true what are these.
net-www/gplflash
net-www/netscape-flash
media-video/realplayer
media-video/realone
media-libs/libquicktime
media-libs/openquicktime
media-libs/quicktime4linux
JusKickNit those subdirectories of your imagination :P
127.0.0.1, wherever you go.. there you are!
spathi
Novice

Post by spathi »

I havent used realplayer in a long time, but there used to be a native version of this for sure..

as JusKickNit has shown, there are quite a few media packages available, mplayer should be able to play quite a few formats, although you might have to read up on enabling certain formats. XINE is also quite useable.

as for flash, the is definitley a macromedia offical plugin, which will run on netscape or any compatible browsers (Mozilla, Galeon, Opera (?))

if konq supports netscape plugins it should be possible to get it to work.
Desertboy
Novice

Post by Desertboy »

coolcheeze wrote:the only way to do shockwave is to use crossover-office..... i think you can compile in support for other formats into mplayer....... crossover-office also lets u use quicktime and realplayer too...... its not free but it does come with a trial version to let u check it out.... im not sure as to whether or not it will run on the x-box version though... .ud just have to try it.
Crossover office does indeed run, I have word & excel running in it. Several emulators I've tried work too. Kazaa works as well which was a surprise. There is a native linux realplayer, quicktime stuff does work though as does IE6 even though the website makes no mention of it.
Speed is pretty good but I doubt I'll pay for it $59 is a bit much for my purposes. Still the demo is curious diversion.

If I ran linux on the desktop then I'd probably say the program was worth $29 but for my xbox it isn't worth the hassle.
Help I haven't got a clue, Linux scares me and I don't know what to double click. Where's My computer, I don't see any setup.exe and my device manager is plain missing.