network problems

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Isllamamon

network problems

Post by Isllamamon »

Well i jsut want to say that this is my first linux expierience...and this sight rocks and shallax is a kick ass dude!!! Well i have my xbox in my room but i cant get it on the internet. I followed the turorial on the tutes page and i did that 2 times, and i tried going through the router and then my computer, both failed. i cant even ping yahoo.com. so i dont know what to do. I have a CAT6 cable that i am useing...is this the right one or should i be using my crossover cable? if somone could point me in the right dirrection...that would rock. Also im having FTP troubles too. I can FTP fine with evox, but im having trouble doing it with gentoox. ive looked in the readme and that didnt help my problem. i enter Host name=192.168.0.1 (<--thats the IP i assigned when i login as root and type pico -w /etc/conf/.d/net) the username is root and the pw is xbox, and i cant pint my x-box with my computer and i cant ping my computer with my x-box so somthings wakko. Well if anyone has some ideas, and you would be so kind as to pass them along, you woule be my hero for the day if you fix this problem.

thx, :P
Isllamamon
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Let's solve this problem by the method of experimentation. This method states that you can isolate the problem by changing one thing at a time in the environment. The problem can either be hardware or software problem. Netorking on your dashboard works. Networking on Linux doesn't. The xbox hardware is the same. Everything is the same, except the software. So, it must be a software problem on Linux's side. The solution? Copy your dashboard network settings to your Linux network settings.

Here's a head start for you. Does the router act as a DHCP server? If so, you must edit /etc/conf.d/net, the line that starts with iface_eth0, to this:

Code: Select all

iface_eth0="dhcp"
Good luck!
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Isllamamon

Post by Isllamamon »

Alright.....I fooled around with it for a few hours today, and i managed to crash the router twice and make the router not realize that there are 2 other computers on the network. Well i tried what you said and set the iface_eth0="dhcp". and still nothing. ive read through the tutorial a few times and changed the /etc/conf/.d/net around alot, and i cant get anything. i still cant pind yahoo. (and when i try to ping i type 'ping http://www.yahoo.com') I just want to clarify taht im supposed to use a network cable....not a crossover cable right????

thanks...Isllamamon
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

You use a patch cable to go from an NIC to a router. A crossover cable is only from NIC to NIC. Can you ping the router, and the other computers on your network?
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Pobtastic
Novice

Post by Pobtastic »

It sounds like you've got it set up correctly... But... :!: Not exactly how it's supposed to be! I think you've probably (not definitely) got a conflict issue with your settings. Your ADSL modem by default is *supposed* to give itself the IP address of 192.168.0.1 (its something to do with internet connection sharing, and to be honest its easy to remember as well so I always leave it there!) Your router on the other hand needs to be in the range of 192.168.1.xxx as it needs to share out the internet connection with everyone within that range. The router itself usually assigns itself the address 192.168.1.1 simply because it's the 'first one available' in that range and if it's set up for DHCP it'll automatically assign anyone connecting to it a number higher than that (eg. 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3...) I myself usually set up the router to start at 192.168.1.100 for no apparent logical reason other than tidiness :) Now here's the thing... NOTHING can communicate with anything set to a different range (192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx) in the network without a LOT of fiddling about. This means that if your router is set on the range 192.168.1.xxx and it gives your PC (for instance) an IP address of 192.168.1.2 then it CANNOT BY DEFAULT communicate with your xbox if you've given it any IP address in the range 192.168.0.xxx it needs to be the same as the PC/ routers one.

Mine is set up like this:

Modem - 192.168.0.1
Router - 192.168.1.1
PC - 192.168.1.100 (statically as it's ALWAYS connected and has other network devices attached to it)
Xbox - 192.168.1.2 (statically as then it's easier to store FTP information!)
Wireless PC-s - 192.168.1.101, 102, 103... etc...

When Gentoox starts up on my xbox it loses the statically assigned address and gets one dynamically from the router (usually its 192.168.1.102 as there's usually a wireless PC connected to my router as well). This is then fine to communicate with everything on the 192.168.1.xxx range (so Gentoox has access to ALL network devices which includes a network storage device and a networked printer (which I *still* can't get to work properly!)) Anyways... I *think* you're assigning an address that's already being used (for one!) and I think you're assigning it in the wrong range. Probably the best thing to do is as you're using evox (which is illegal...) is whilst making sure that you *do* have a connection to your network, take a look in system utils->settings and see what your IP address is set to (its near the top I think) and then set your Gentoox on the same IP, sub net, etc... It's obviously far easier to set your router as a DHCP server and just connect Gentoox dynamically (and take a note of the IP while it's booting!) but then of course, you can never be entirely sure that it's going to be the same number... :wink:

As for crossover cables, I know Trogdor already answered this - but for a newbie that means:
PC->Xbox=Crossover cable
PC->Router=normal cable
Xbox->Router=normal cable

Apologies for the disjointed nature of this post :!: Afraid I'm working and I keep leaving it and coming back to it later! :)

Pobster
PS. Let us know some of the settings you've got, so it'll be easier to determine the problem. I mean it could (not likely) be something as stoopid as having to set the DNS servers manually in your Routers set up! That's a point... Have you tried pinging an 'actual' IP address? Not just a domain name I mean...?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Pobtastic wrote:Mine is set up like this:

Modem - 192.168.0.1
Router - 192.168.1.1
PC - 192.168.1.100 (statically as it's ALWAYS connected and has other network devices attached to it)
Xbox - 192.168.1.2 (statically as then it's easier to store FTP information!)
Wireless PC-s - 192.168.1.101, 102, 103... etc...
The way you have explained this is confusing, with the kind of setup you have (modem>router>network) the IP address if the modem is not important, it is only used for setting up the modem. A router doesn't have to use a 192.168.1.0/24 network, different brands of router tend to come configured to use different subnets. Netgear routers are usually set to 192.168.0.0/24 edimax uses 192.168.2.0/24.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Isllamamon

Post by Isllamamon »

alright guys...this looks awesome. But i have alot of work and i havent had much time to work on x-box. when i get a few hours i will jump on this. THANKS ALOT!!

Isllamamon
Isllamamon

Post by Isllamamon »

wooohoo. i finally got it on the WWW today. TY so much to every1 who helped!!! i appreciate it

Isllamamon