gentoox won't run in hdtv mode

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
winterborne
Pro

gentoox won't run in hdtv mode

Post by winterborne »

I just got my X2VGA in the mail and tried to set it up. However, whenever I set up the xbox dash to accept hdtv modes, when I try and boot gentoox (using gentooxx.xbe) the fan (or dvd drive, not sure which) spins up like a tornado, and the box shutts off. I believe I have a 1.1 ntsc box. Has anyone had any experience with this? I tried searching the site and forums, but I've got exams tomorrow and haven't spent a lot of time on it.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Make sure you have got the latest Gentoox Loader (cromwell) that has support for X2VGA. Once Gentoox boots update via magic and run XBVSET. I think this has been covered a few times, search. See if you can try it on a PC monitor first.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

There hasn't been another Gentoox Loader release since the one that incorporated sparkle, has there? That's the one I've got. I am using a pc monitor currently, as well.
I think right now I've told xbvset that I'm using an HDTV in 480p 720x480 (this old monitor can only handle up to 800x600 heh) and told the xbox dash not to accept HDTV video modes... and it seems to be running fine. Any other configuration and X is garbled, or if I tell the xbox dash to accept HDTV modes the loader never loads as I mentioned in the first post. This only happens with gentoox, games and other things run fine with the x2vga and the dash allowing HDTV modes... No functional difference with the seemingly conflicting settings, just a bit of a nuisance that I've got to change video modes if I want to play games.