question with compiling ???

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Ylanday69
Novice

question with compiling ???

Post by Ylanday69 »

hey guys what can i edit to speed up the compiling process, it takes ages and the cpu goes into overload even for the simplest little things.
and while im at it what does 1337 mean ???? i know 3 is e and i thought 7 was a t but i cant remember what 1 is can anyone fill me in? thx
Drunkn_Munky
Novice

Post by Drunkn_Munky »

1337 is Leet. It means ure really gud, kinda thing

Hard to explain
rodney896

Post by rodney896 »

There is no real way to speed up the compile process, but if you are running kde switching to a lighter window manager would free up some ram which helps.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Upgrading to GCC 3.4 would shave time off compiling speeds.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

so if i switch to a diff desktop do some compiling then switch back to kde will the things i compiled be there for kde? yesterday i loged in as gentoox and then su - to root to update portage and when i woke up this morning it was at the login screen, so i loged in as root and got it goin again and it still had 23 dependencies to go - Whats up with that???
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Ylanday69 wrote:so if i switch to a diff desktop do some compiling then switch back to kde will the things i compiled be there for kde? yesterday i loged in as gentoox and then su - to root to update portage and when i woke up this morning it was at the login screen, so i loged in as root and got it goin again and it still had 23 dependencies to go - Whats up with that???
Maybe su is set to log you out of root (for security reasons) after a period of time. Check your ~/.bashrc .
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
GTez

Post by GTez »

Theres always distcc etc? I'm not sure if there is any way with Magic to use distcc as your cross compiler...
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

If emerge is set up to use distcc, then it will be used with magic (magic acts as a frontend for emerge).