Retail Kernel 5530

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
lovin it!
Adept

Retail Kernel 5530

Post by lovin it! »

I recently bought a new XBOX (dvd drive in old one was crappin out),and it has the 5530 kernel.

I copied over Gentoox files that I had saved and then booted Gentoox through a gamesave, because the other way I got to boot it up got messed up after a wrong button press. lol

When I ejected the dvd drive while Gentoox was up and running, it reset the XBOX.

I have two questions.
Question 1. if I run My stardust disc on my new xbox, will it install Gentoox to my new XBOX?

(I used a copy of the Gentoox files that were "magicd" while they were on my old XBOX,I figured maybe I gotta focus chip and my Magic update from febuary fixed it,...Gentoox is scrambled on boot, but clears up after a button press to launch boot up)

Question 2. Doesnt Gentoox load a different Bios/Kernel, if so then why would it reset the XBOX)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If the stardust CD will boot, you can install gentoox.

You need to use a bios with a reset on eject fix, cromwell has this fix. If you boot from a gamesave you are using the retail xbox bios, which doesn't have this fix.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

I'm pretty sure stardust will boot, I'll try tonight or tomorrow, I'm not sure if this is a "Focus XBOX or not (I think it may be),

When it boots (my old gentoox files not stardust CD)its fuzzy and scrambled as if its a focus,then after it gets past the first screen its clear, then goes fuzz(scrambled) again, right before the login GUI, then finally clears up when it loadsmy home workspace.

as I said before the Gentoox I have saved ahd been updated...probably to fix focus problems...really I'll just have to pop in stardust to find out I guess.

Thx Nobspangle...as always you got the answers :D
If Shallax was a paying job, you would be their (his) favorite (underpaid) employee :D
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You do have a focus xbox, the startup is scrambled because you have the old version of xromwell without focus support
Everything is resolved because gentoox detects your focus chip and activates support for it.

Download the newest xromwell (with sparkle) and you will have a non-scrambled boot screen as well.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?