Misc Error on large partition (over 137GB)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Crisis

Misc Error on large partition (over 137GB)

Post by Crisis »

Well from what I have read you should be able to function fine on a drive bigger then 137GB,

But my F drive is larger then that, and I can install GentooX on E fine, and mount the F drive, but I run into errors when I try to export that drive with NFS or samba.

Any ideas?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you either have to recompile the kernel to support F bigger than 137GB or use seperate F and G drives
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Thanks, have a link towards instructions for what to add to the kernel?

I'm comfortable recomiling kernels, just don't know if it's xbox specific code that needs to be added or what. Thanks!
Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Closest I've been able to dig up is that I need to revert a change in xbox.c to enable LBA48 but I haven't been able to find a code example anywhere, they all just point to mysterious "other posts" with no links and that won't come up on a search.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
jim2020

Post by jim2020 »

I've just managed to get access to my f drive, which is > 137GB. I modified the xbox.c file using the information in this post;

viewtopic.php?t=789&highlight=137+gb

then rebuilt the kernal and mounted hda57 as f and it seems to be working.

hope this helps.
jim2020

Post by jim2020 »

I've just managed to get access to my f drive, which is > 137GB. I modified the xbox.c file using the information in this post;

viewtopic.php?t=789&highlight=137+gb

then rebuilt the kernal and mounted hda57 as f and it seems to be working.

hope this helps.
Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I compiled that into the kernel but now I get /dev/hda55 and 56 not one partition, anyone have tips? :(
dito199
Novice

Post by dito199 »

Me too. Compiled and only getting hda55/56. There's no hda57. Can some1 post the patched xbox.c for illustration. Been trying to get this to work for a week to no avail.

Thx for any pointer
-WK-
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

nobspangle wrote:you either have to recompile the kernel to support F bigger than 137GB or use seperate F and G drives
Shouldn't you just format the drive Native to aviod this problem altogether? I have a 160g drive in my Xbox and I used the Native during installation and I have no problems.
dito199
Novice

Post by dito199 »

F+G drive is one option to consider if you started with empty hd and have the flexibility of re-partitioning the drive.

Knowing how to recompile kernel on the other hand, will benefit those who has filled up the F drive and couldn't afford the luxury to transfer out 100 Gb from xbox, re-partition to F+G, transfer back to xbox process.

I know Xbox with > 137Gb hd owners might be minority. But the ability to address the need for this group of users will display the true spirit behind opensource community.
shedt
Adept

Post by shedt »

yes I agree. I think it would help Gentoox. I would think many have larger hd's. when i bought mine i was looking into getting the largest I could afford.
dito199
Novice

Post by dito199 »

dito199 wrote:Me too. Compiled and only getting hda55/56. There's no hda57. Can some1 post the patched xbox.c for illustration. Been trying to get this to work for a week to no avail.

Thx for any pointer
-WK-
figured this part out. The bzImage suppose to be copied to /mnt/fatx/e and not /boot because of the loopback. Which explains why it always load the same kernel and not the updated one :shock:
Anastrophe
Novice

Post by Anastrophe »

dito199 wrote:
dito199 wrote:Me too. Compiled and only getting hda55/56. There's no hda57. Can some1 post the patched xbox.c for illustration. Been trying to get this to work for a week to no avail.

Thx for any pointer
-WK-
figured this part out. The bzImage suppose to be copied to /mnt/fatx/e and not /boot because of the loopback. Which explains why it always load the same kernel and not the updated one :shock:
So is all well now?
dito199
Novice

Post by dito199 »

Yup, but somehow I lost the entire installation after running magic. I wonder if magic update kernel as well.

Anyway, have spent more than 2 weeks getting this to work and realized the time spent is not worth it. I ended up reformatting to F and G partition. In any case, the 137Gb itself is a limitation even in Windows. So no point trying too hard hacking the kernel for this feature.

And I also revert to use Home instead of Pro as the compilation effort and time is not acceptable.