Some info about xbv (how to make your video a bit clearer)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
kernel_sanders
Novice

got console in 480p!

Post by kernel_sanders »

I got the console working in 480p! 8) I removed the RivaFB driver from my Kernel (and then recompiled it), and edited /etc/conf.d/local.start so that the xbvinit file was commented out. Now I just gotta figure out how to get X to work without the RivaFB driver and the xbvinit file commented out. Thanks ShALLaX! :D
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yeah, i knew it worked with vesafb :P
kernel_sanders
Novice

X w/o RivaFB? and using Xbox for file server @ Memphis fest

Post by kernel_sanders »

So I erased & upgraded to Gentoox Home 2.1 Integrated. I've already done the 480p "trick" once. Last time I did it, X wouldn't start. Probably because the xbv settings in xbvinit didn't get run. If I can't get it to do 480p with my vga adapter, I'll just have to use VNC. :o
fireballuk2001

Post by fireballuk2001 »

Any update on this? any tips on how to make the display clearer on my PAL tv with the newest version? Also, any way to make it run in 800x600 on my bog standard pal tv set, but in a way that its readable? I've got it running in 640x680 at the moment, and its annoying as some dialogue boxes are too big for the screen (example being the desktop wizard). 640x480 is an improvement for the readability, but still is difficult.

TIA
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

First, need to stop double posting. Second, you need to run magic. Third, learn how to use xbvset. I dont write these utilities for nothing... (or do I?).
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
fireballuk2001

Post by fireballuk2001 »

First, sorry, but i only did it cos i thought the Q & A section wouldnt be visited as often by the experts. Second, I did run magic. Third, i do use xbvset. But you had this tutorial in this thread to make things clearer, and it doenst work in this version... so, is this already as clear as things can get? and ill add a forth, why the attitude to a n00b like me? being a developer, i thought you'd want to be kind to your users... maybe i should revert back to xebian, which doenst have a problem with 1.4 & 1.5 xboxs, makes it a pain in the ass to setup!
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It works if you know what youre doing.... open /etc/conf.d/xbvinit in pico.

Also, thats what makes doubleposting worse.... you pick the right forum and post, double posting just takes up my time with having to delete them.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo