external usb drive

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
detroit
Novice

external usb drive

Post by detroit »

Has anyone been able to connect an external usb drive to the xbox with gentoox v2? If so what were the exact steps that you took to mount the drive, and what custom configuration (if any) did you do to the default setup?
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

anyone tried this in 2.1?
It's amazing that one of the most seemingly useful features has been impossible for so long. Mounting a USB drive seems like it should pretty basic-- has no one in the history of xbox development really never succeeded at this?
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

still hasn't been done.
it's possible to record to usb cdrom, but not to actually mount a usb drive.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

If you actually read the news, youd see i did this a few weeks ago... theres even a post in this forum about it... use your eyes before posting needlessly.
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

if you bothered to read my post, you would see that I wasn't talking about cd burning, but mounting an external usb drive, which has still not been acheived or demonstated.
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

i finally got this to work on 2.1:

modprobe usb-storage
modprobe scsi_mod
modprobe ide-scsi
modprobe sg
modprobe sr_mod
mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I read your post, and you dont have the technical ability to explain yourself properly. You stated "USB drive". That means ANY type of drive. Dont argue the point that "mounting" makes any difference because you still have to mount cd drives, besides... I HAD done this, the access speeds were so slow it was barely worth posting about. If you read the news page youd have seen that i posted the necessary kernel configuration to achieve this.

For your reference:

http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... cle&sid=53
http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... cle&sid=55
detroit
Novice

Post by detroit »

thanks, glad to see you've made some progress on this too,
britishseapower
Novice

Post by britishseapower »

detroits instructions got my external hard disk working! It was a little slow but certainly useable. Be nice if the xbox had usb2 ports! Biggest problem was all the debug messages i got in dmesg output and in the log files. I got read of the debug optionsin the kernel .config and reinstalled. I STILL got the annoying messages though.

I would REALLY like to plug my usb drive back in, anyone solved this one?