Getting ssh RSA authentication to work

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
trixter
Adept

Getting ssh RSA authentication to work

Post by trixter »

I am trying to configure ssh on my xbox to work using RSA key authentication. I used Puttygen to generate a public/private key pair. I put the public key in /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key.pub on my xbox. However, when I try to log into my xbox using the ssh private key file stored locally on my PC I get an error message saying:

Using username "root".
Server refused our key
Access denied
Server refused our key

How do I configure RSA or DSA key authorization on my xbox? Thanks.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Why would you want to do this, im interesting :) not sure how to fix your problem though.
trixter
Adept

Post by trixter »

I run an apache web server on my xbox. I also have linux running on my desktop PC. On my desktop PC I have an apache web monitor program running in the background which allows me to see instantly, in real time, who is logged into my website. The only problem is that everytime I boot up linux on my desktop PC I have to enter the ssh password to get access to the apache log file on the xbox via ssh. No big deal I guess, but I know there is supposed to be a way to do it so that the ssh will automatically authenticate.
Bucko
Power user

Post by Bucko »

Cool.