Packages not to emerge -u

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Schultz
Novice

Packages not to emerge -u

Post by Schultz » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:47 pm

I tried searching the forums for this and looking through all your patches on your website.. but i was looking for a definite list..
I am just curious of what packages i should not update with emerge -u system or world if i wish to update packages on GentooX

i have already figured not to update the kernal headers or if any kernals are released as they need patched to support the hardware.. Also teh Alsa drivers i think also need patched.. Are there anymore libraries in GentooX that i shouldn't emerge because they need to be patched with some specific stuff for the Xbox?
thanks..

nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:32 pm

because the kernels and alsa are not installed using emerge they shouldn't show up on an emerge -u world
The only thing you can't update is xfree as that needs a special nvidia module, however the next version of xfree probably won't be available through portage anyway so, I think your safe updating everything, just be careful with etc-update, but that goes for all gentoo systems not just gentoox
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?

Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:28 am

nobspangle wrote:because the kernels and alsa are not installed using emerge they shouldn't show up on an emerge -u world
The only thing you can't update is xfree as that needs a special nvidia module, however the next version of xfree probably won't be available through portage anyway so, I think your safe updating everything, just be careful with etc-update, but that goes for all gentoo systems not just gentoox
I know when i do emerge -u world kernal headers showup and they are wanting to be installed.. i presume some programs require them to be installed so that they can be compiled.. and ok thanks for the info and yea i know about etc-update i always read the diff check to see what is being changed.. never do a blind update all.. I have been using Slackware for quite a few years.. so just new to Gentoo and the requirements for teh Xbox GentooX.. and props go to Shallax for making it so easy..