Can you put AIM onto the xbox?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
danania1

Can you put AIM onto the xbox?

Post by danania1 »

Sorry if I sound like a complete moron. I have GentooX Linux running on my XBOX and I am wondering if it is possible to downloand and install AIM and get it to actually work. I think it would be cool to talk to family and friends on the XBOX while other people are using the computer. Thanks.
danania1

Post by danania1 »

Nevermind, I got it working.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Its already installed, fyi... `gaim`
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
djdafreund
Novice

Post by djdafreund »

Personaly, i don't think GAIM is the same as AIM. I don't like GAIM myself, tried it, just to used to the setup of AIM. It's a lot of the same, but there are enough differences to warrant a user to rather stick with AIM instead of GAIM. Granted i am using GAIM now until i figure out how to properly install AIM. I'm a Gentoox newbie. But did extensive reading in the forums on XBox-scene, and found that the majority LOVE gentoox and the speed of it, and it works pretty rock solid, so i went with it. Enjoying it so far, once i get used to linux, coming from decades of windows usage. Hehe.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

*Shrugs* no one ever said GAIM is AIM... it just uses the same protocol
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

if your not used to it then install it for windows and use it on windows. ;o) it also will allow you to use msn, icq, yahoo and you can get ride of all those.. I personally use gaim for linux but trillian on windows..
djdafreund
Novice

Post by djdafreund »

I know it's more or less the same. I installed it and used it for a few days on the pc, and just didn't care for it. I can't quite say what it is i don't like different about it. Maybe the way it groups things, maybe the way camera support isn't there, or voice.(PC version) It's ok for the xbox since i won't use it much, except when using with the wireless adapter at my local coffee shop. But i would mostly rather just use aim itself, and yahoo separately since i sometimes switch back and forth.