how I installed XFCE4 desktop manager

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
roadrash
Pro

how I installed XFCE4 desktop manager

Post by roadrash »

******updated*******
includes all amendments in this thread & 100% tested

If anyone is intererested I have found a way to get the latest vesion of XFCE4 desktop manager & tools to install on gentoox even though its masked.
I installed the pro version of gentoox so i could start with a clean slate. it also works with the home version.
this worked for me but if you try it and it dont work dont blame me. maybe a good idea to back upp your existing gentoox from your xbox E: drive b4 you try and then you can always upload it again if it goes wrong.

For the pro version of gentoox:

This is a little more involved than it is for the home version due to the pro version only supporting a screen reolution of 640x480 so you need to follow the instructions below so you can enable 800x600 resolution as well. It is important that you use just 640x480 resolution until the full Patching process is done or you will get a garbled screen.

once you have the pro version installed
login as root and type:

echo "home2.1" > /etc/gentoox_version && magic fix kernel-2.4.20 && magic fix xbvset && magic

this will install an updated kernal with 800x600 res support. The process is automated and when finished it will restart the xbox.
If it fails to reboot you need to download this file, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/roadrash/xb/linuxboot.zipunzip it and ftp the file “linuxboot.cfg” to the xboxes E: hard drive & reboot again.

once its rebooted you can safely set the screen resolution to 800x600.

now to install XFCE4 type:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xfce4

this will emerge xfce4 and ignore the fact that its masked. (it will take about 4 hours).

to launch xfce4 type the following: startxfce4
or to get it to launch on startup type:
nano /home/gentoox/.xinitrc

this will launch an editor and you need to add the line: startxfce4
now to save press ctrl+X then “Y” then ENTER

now reboot linux and it should boot staright into xfce4.

For the home edition of gentoox

login as root & type:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xfce4

this will emerge xfce4 and ignore the fact that its masked. (it will take about 4 hours).

to launch xfce4 type the following: startxfce4
or to get it to launch on startup instead of KDE type:
nano /home/gentoox/.xinitrc

this will launch an editor and you need to change the line:
"startkde" to:
startxfce4

now to save press ctrl+X then “Y” then ENTER

now reboot linux and it should boot staright into xfce4.
Last edited by roadrash on Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Fyi, "magic fix" on its own isnt a command. Not sure what you meant to type.
¡Mysto!
Novice

Ok, I'm about to try this

Post by ¡Mysto! »

I'm just downloading Pro in order to try this, as I have been meaning to do a clean install for a while.
As I haven't really used linux before I was a bit daunted as I thought I would have to emerge all the Xfree86 and Xft etc. stuff one by one, but if this works it will be great.
I am assuming that emerge mozilla will also work after this?
Also I did have this plan to try and install WINE from the CVS (After having explained to me about 10 times what CVS was......I got quite confused!) as this seems to be the only way to get a decent version without paying for it. But I don't know if it was patched when it used to come with home I'm pretty sure it shouldn't need patching but you never know.

Anyway any help, or tips would be greatly apprecieted,
Cheers!
¡Mysto!
Novice

Ok, I'm about to try this

Post by ¡Mysto! »

I'm just downloading Pro in order to try this, as I have been meaning to do a clean install for a while.
As I haven't really used linux before I was a bit daunted as I thought I would have to emerge all the Xfree86 and Xft etc. stuff one by one, but if this works it will be great.
I am assuming that emerge mozilla will also work after this?
Also I did have this plan to try and install WINE from the CVS (After having explained to me about 10 times what CVS was......I got quite confused!) as this seems to be the only way to get a decent version without paying for it. But I don't know if it was patched when it used to come with home I'm pretty sure it shouldn't need patching but you never know.

Anyway any help, or tips would be greatly apprecieted,
Cheers!
¡Mysto!
Novice

Sorry I will try not to double post in future

Post by ¡Mysto! »

:?
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

found out that the pro version only supports 640x480 resolution as standard but shallax has told me if you do the following you can set it to 800x600. But do not set it above 640x480 until this fix is done or you will get a garbled screen.
pro doesnt support 800x600 by default (this is intentional - youre a pro, youre meant to be able to decide which frame buffer you want to use!).... Run this command to add 800x600 support:

echo "home2.1" > /etc/gentoox_version && magic fix kernel-2.4.20 && magic fix xbvset && magic
If after running the patch, gentoox fails during the boot process then download this cfg file and ftp it to your xboxes E: hard drive.
http://gentoox.shallax.com/patch-files/linuxboot.cfg
Last edited by roadrash on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Huh? Why would you do that on the home version? Its already set to that :P
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

sorry shallax it was just badly placed text and had nothing to do with the res fix command you gave me. i meant to say ive also installed xfce4 on the home version which worked without any need to fix the screen res. anyway ive edited it now.

Hey mate i just read an article about you on gentoo.org. Well done youve done a great job. I also notice you are almost a nextdoor neighbor as i live in the next county (Cambridgeshire).
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Aah i see, a misunderstanding :D Yeah, we are neighbours.. although i rarely travel to cambridge :P