magic problm!!

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
faisalkm
Novice

magic problm!!

Post by faisalkm »

Since the last few weeks, whenever i run magic thats what comes...

Patch serial: 20040322002
MOTD: IMPORTANT INFORMATION

+ Removed JoyD due to excessive CPU usage.
+ Added includes to magic to reduce code length and make it easier
to maintain.

Press enter to continue...

and then it finishes saying ..."All Done".

But this is happening everytime i run magic..It seems to do the same patch again and again and nothing else...

What is the problem?
Code-X
Novice

Post by Code-X »

No Problem, Just no new Patches to Apply
Code The Future
faisalkm
Novice

Post by faisalkm »

but then why does it tell me to apply the same patch again & again? Once it's applied why is it showing it again? somehow it would give a feeling that the patch is not applied.
1st_Cavalry
Linux User

Post by 1st_Cavalry »

faisalkm wrote:but then why does it tell me to apply the same patch again & again? Once it's applied why is it showing it again? somehow it would give a feeling that the patch is not applied.
Same with me.I keep downloading and downloading thinking that there must be about million patches, and a million more to go. :shock:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Would be nice to have a little more detail than "it keeps downloading and downloading". :\
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
1st_Cavalry
Linux User

Post by 1st_Cavalry »

ShALLaX wrote:Would be nice to have a little more detail than "it keeps downloading and downloading". :\
Sorry(I guess I must be tired :lol: ). :oops:
After the update completes, I retype Magic again, and it downloads what seem like another update.Then it finishes, then I type Magic again, and it downloads yet what seems like another update etc. It would be nice if it would say something like No more updates avail, or something like that. :)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

It does... Generally when something says "All done", it means what it says. Magic will never stop half way through and ask you to resume UNLESS its right at the beginning when magic is updating itself. Then it will tell you to relaunch.

Gentoox Magic (c) ShALLaX (gentoox@shallax.com)
Be sure to check http://gentoox.shallax.com regularly for updates!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL DONE
GOODBYE!
NO REBOOT NECESSARY

Gentoox is distributed under the GNU General Public License.

That means its finished ^^^
1st_Cavalry
Linux User

Post by 1st_Cavalry »

But type in Magic again(in root), and it will download the (what I'm guessing) same patch again.It would be nice if it would say, "Your files are up to date, no updates avail".Or something.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Of course it downloads something again... how else will it know what to patch if it doesnt download a patch database file? More specifically... how would it know if new patches exist if it doesnt keep this database updated? This is why it has to download it each time. This is also how EVERY patch system in the world works, it cant magically know there is nothing to update. Sorry... but this is just a stupid topic :\... Gah, i mean it even says "DOWNLOADING PATCH INFORMATION". Go look at how magic works.

It doesnt download any patch over and over again. It would be totally pointless for it to say "No patches available" because if its reached the end without mentioning any errors, then its obviously up to date and has worked properly. Ive just thought.. thats the whole point of "magic available".... it tells you which patches you have :o
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Honestly... this same thing had me a bit worried. Makes sense now you've explained it Shallax, but (and maybe this should be in requests) when it finds that you've got the latest one, could it print out "Your magic is up to date." instead of listing the changes made in the latest patch. It does appear to be applying (though I realise it's not) the same patch to itself over and over. Perhaps it's just confusing to the newbies in the community :wink:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Huh.. thats just a general MOTD about magic, not any particular patch specifically, its not a list of what its about to do, it only changes when I update a text file on the server called motd.magic... People have gone insane... or dont they know what an MOTD is?. I mean.... play Ultima online, the patch system is identical.. it will list an MOTD... and then launch the game (after patching) :o. Magic lists an MOTD, then patches, when it gets to the end of its cycle, it tells you its done and kicks you back to a terminal.

There is no way of me making it check to see if you have the latest patch, because some people opt not to install certain patches. The fact is... it says "ALL DONE, GOODBYE".... anyone with a modicum of intelligence would realise this means its finished (its 'done').

No offense, but this is the stupidest post ive seen. Originally magic didnt even say "All done", but I thought id add that screen to spell it out for people... but that hasnt even worked.

Sorry about the disjointed writing, things just keep occuring to me that discredit this whole argument even more.
1st_Cavalry
Linux User

Post by 1st_Cavalry »

winterborne wrote:Honestly... this same thing had me a bit worried. Makes sense now you've explained it Shallax, but (and maybe this should be in requests) when it finds that you've got the latest one, could it print out "Your magic is up to date." instead of listing the changes made in the latest patch. It does appear to be applying (though I realise it's not) the same patch to itself over and over. Perhaps it's just confusing to the newbies in the community :wink:
Ditto!I'm just a complete noob when it comes to linux.I guess I'm use to Windows update I guess. :oops:
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

It's not that it doesn't say it's done, it just doesn't say what it's done... I think. I havent actually seen the screen for a few days. Anyways, obviously you think it's retarded, and it's not really a problem for anyone. I'm cool to drop it, but it's not only one person that's gotten a little confused. (does it say anywhere that the message is just an MOTD? I dont recall... but if not, that could clear up some confusion :wink: )
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

not wanting to add to a stupid topic but three things
1. Windows Update also works this way it says checking for latest updates and you can run it over and over again and it will do the same thing
2. It does say the information is MOTD it's at the top of the screen and this thread
3. The reason whu it doesn't say what it has done is because it hasn't done anything (there was nothing to do)
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
faisalkm
Novice

Post by faisalkm »

I guess Shallax has to be bit more patient to the novice linux users instead of calling them Stupids...if someone starts to learn something and ask "silly" questions, then it can be reponded with a "not so rude" answer....everyone loves gentoox here....i started this topic....and as far as i see it some more people seem to have the same confusion...so be more open....afterall thats what linux stands for....