damn crash

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
roadrash
Pro

damn crash

Post by roadrash »

help..... I was connected to my xbox using ssl with putty and was in the middle of an emerge which i had been monitoring on the pc when typical windows crashes.
the pc crashing and breaking the link somehow halted the xbox during its emerge of the app and its dependencies which its been doing for the last 8 hours. I typed emerge and the applicaition name again and its started agin but is it gonna have to download everything again or will it detect which things were successfully completed?
bikr
Novice

Post by bikr »

if i'm thinking this out correctly the emerge should notice that some of the dependencies are already met.. and therefore shouln't need to update them all again..

The reason your emerge stopped was because your ssh connection was halted , the commands you issue from your shell are forked from your shell so if the shell dies , the process dies.. --Bikr
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Yes, when an emerge has been aborted for some reason, it will resume after the last successful operation.
bikr
Novice

Post by bikr »

wewt , i was right.. haha
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

thanks guys you were right and it resumed and emerged successfully.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

"emerge --resume" is your friend