How do i use a loader that i can chose what session i want?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
cutter

How do i use a loader that i can chose what session i want?

Post by cutter »

Gog linux loaded last night and ran Magic everything went ok no problems. i noticed that KDE didnt have an option to switch back to Xkfe if i wanted.
My real question is - can i load something that starts and asks me if i want to load in kde or xfce? there is only an option for restart and shutdown in the current.

Im new to this so sorry if my questions seem like biginer--

thanks

Cutter
nolimit

Post by nolimit »

I thought kde installed kdm as well... but anyways...
kdm is a login manager, so is gdm, but since you're using kde, you should try to emerge kdm.
cutter

Post by cutter »

ya kde comes with kdm but i dont know how to make it load as the default. Emerge just installs it for you ...

correct me if im wrong
cutter

Post by cutter »

ya kde comes with kdm but i dont know how to make it load as the default. Emerge just installs it for you ...

correct me if im wrong
effbiai
Novice

Post by effbiai »

in the file /etc/inittab you can change what type login you want to use, the id:3:initdefault: line spesify that.. 3 is for console (text login) and 2 is for GUI login.. if you use 3.. then you can type "switchdesk kde" (or what desk you want.. :P) then "startx". (maybe you have to emerge switchdesk first, or install it manually).

There was the basic.. now.. you can use 3 runlevel as default.. then you can make a sh script if you want.. that asks you what desk you wanna use..
nolimit

Post by nolimit »

in your /etc/rc.conf file uncomment the line...

Code: Select all

DISPLAYMANAGER=xdm
and change xdm to kdm