1HDD multi file system...

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
LovelyPervert
Linux User

1HDD multi file system...

Post by LovelyPervert »

Hi all!
i'd like to ask if is it possible to partition the F drive to have some space formatted in FatX and other space formatted in ext3 for a gentoox native installation.

Tnx all, apologize my english
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

no
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
LovelyPervert
Linux User

Post by LovelyPervert »

Are there any work around?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

write your own xbox bios
LovelyPervert
Linux User

Post by LovelyPervert »

Easy ... so ... where to start from ?? :roll: :roll: :?: Are there any tutorial about bioses ??
Tnx a lot
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

basically I'm trying to say it's not possible unless you know how to write your own bios with your own partition table.

This is not to say it will never be possible but the so called "homebrew" people probablly don't hold it as a very high priority neither do the xbox linux team since the need only arises if you want both linux partitions and fatx partitions and neither is after that.
LovelyPervert
Linux User

Post by LovelyPervert »

Fine, I understand that i'm annoying you. :(
Of course, my needs are to have both file system type to improve gentoox preformace and still play Xbox games. :wink:
Tnx anyway for your patience :)

Can you tell me where to find stuff about xbox file system and bios ???
bye
Chiron
Linux User

Interesting idea!

Post by Chiron »

LovelyPervert wrote:Fine, I understand that i'm annoying you. :(
Of course, my needs are to have both file system type to improve gentoox preformace and still play Xbox games. :wink:
Tnx anyway for your patience :)

Can you tell me where to find stuff about xbox file system and bios ???
bye

Hi!
I like your idea. I could use some more speed in GentooX by doing a F: format, and installing gentooX there in native mode, but hey, it should even be possible to make an xbox-native application that could help us with that.
Anyone want to try this? I'm sure trhere are a *LOT* of people around that could make use of such an application.
And, if the programmers are *really* pro, why not take some ideas from i.e Partition-Magic, and make a non-destructive partition-converter, so that we still can keep our software on the disk?
Is this out of this world, or is it possible?

Hoping someone can make a TSR, for enabling any tunneilnglsoftware,so that we that don't have the Live-Kit, nor the Original games anymore (only the backups) ;) can play with&against eachother soon, without having to use a pc.

I know I'm asking for much, but hey, I'ts my way of coming through the days: Dreaming. ;-)

Best regards. Shallax, I owe you plenty, but I can only give you some karma. ;)

Peace & Load. .... and good luck from Bergen,Norway!!!
-ChiRon
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the problem isn't with gentoox, you could quite easily set a partition that only takes up a percentage of the F drive space, problem is that programs using the fatx part would know nothing about it and attempt to write data over the top
LovelyPervert
Linux User

Post by LovelyPervert »

right. What about dedicating an entire partition (like G) to ext3/reiserfs? will it work?
chuddy117
Linux User

Post by chuddy117 »

I've been wondering the same thing. Boy it would be nice to boot F: partition using the xbox bios and booting G: partition using linux. I've been wanting to try that for some time now, but it wont work eh?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you can format G using a linux fs provided you have your bios set to F takes 137GB
there are two methods both have been discussed elsewhere on this forum search for LBA48