Non-Noob VNC HELP

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Shmio
Linux User

Non-Noob VNC HELP

Post by Shmio »

ok here is the deal...

used to be able to connect to vnc using tight vnc by just typing the hostname "xbox"...so lastnight that stopped working for me...i ran magic fixdisplaytools && magic...vnc still works if i connect to the ip and through IE but won't connect to the hostname...so i changed the hostname...still won't work...is there some config file here that needs updating or whatever????

btw...i'm going to this lan party where i need to be able to connect via the hostname b/c i won't have a tv nor access to the dhcp server...
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

typing the hostname works becuase your xbox is running samba. It has nothing to do with the actual hostname of the box, it's more to do with wins and netbios.
The samba server pretends to be a windows box and it sends out broadcasts on your subnet with it's name. If your PC doesn't receive these broadcasts it can't find the box.
Check your samba server is running by doing "ps aux | grep smbd" if it isn't restart it with "/etc/init.d/samba restart" if you want to change the hostname windows sees it is set in "/etc/samba/smb.conf"
Failing all this give your xbox a static IP and use that to connect, or give it a static IP and add an entry to the hosts file on your PC.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Shmio
Linux User

Post by Shmio »

reformated :? i'll let you know if it comes back...thanks for the reply