gentoox tries to mount rootfs from cd on boot..

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
knoweffex
Linux User

gentoox tries to mount rootfs from cd on boot..

Post by knoweffex »

one day i was trying to free up space on my rootfs so i went ahead and deleted all the files in /tmp...the next time i went to load up gentoox, it would not load gdm or X11 ,anything graphical. everything command lin based still worked fine only i couldn't start xfce -or kde i guess, why would i want to anyway?- so then i installed xebian, mounted the rootfs from gentoox, and found a generous guy to transfer me his /tmp folder in hopes to get mine working again but first , i had to get all the gentoox files back into my E folder as i previously deleted them thinking that it couldn't be fixed. so i got these files from the same guy who has a working gentoox installation and when i tried to boot again i saw that it was looking for the rootfs on the cdrom drive. it would only mount the cdrom and then it would try to find /mnt/cdrom/rootfts as if it wwere booting from cd. which file would i need to edit to tell it not to boot from cd rather from my f partition as i had it configured to before and to mount the stuff in FSTAB ?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

It's not trying to boot from the cdrom it's the way the boot loader works. Read the magic f-drive script you need to go throught the bit dealing with initrd.gz
Otherwise move your rootfs to your E drive and run magic f-drive
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?