The I can't quite get my video right HOWTO.

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Boing
Novice

The I can't quite get my video right HOWTO.

Post by Boing »

:) - This is all WAY easier (maybe only possible) if you do everything from an root ssh session from another box while watching your xbox display on the TV/Monitor. I found sitting in the living room with my laptop networked in wireslessly worked well.

First - Try going through the modes that xbvset allows. You can check the changes by running xbvset, making your changes and then hitting ctrl-c to stop the script from finishing while it is in the countdown to reboot. You can check your changes by issueing: "killall X" which will restart the X server (yeah - I know it's not gracefull but it works).

If you find (as I did) that none of them are quite right you can resort to the fun method I eventually used to get my screen just right!

Again as ssh'd in as root from another box type: "man fbset" now RTFM.

Ok... play with the fbset but be carefull since if you push it to hard you can do damage to your monitor/TV (in theory). It's also possible that if you push it just right it will turn into a time machine.... that's probably right about the same frequency as the one that makes smoke come out of the back of your monitor/TV. ;) No joke... make small changes or you WILL break something.

Boing Boing!!! :)

(BTW - Shallax - This seemed easier than messing around with the kernel.) hehe...
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

oh... and if you go the fbset route you need to make a note of all the settings and make sure the system runs fbset with all those settings in the init process.... I sort of hacked it into the /etc/init.d/fbset but it doesn't need to (probably shouldn't) be there.... any comments from the 'smart' ones?
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

this ended up working nicely for me on a hitachi digital 53" using component video -

Xbox / # fbset -i

mode "704x471-56"
# D: 27.028 MHz, H: 28.969 kHz, V: 55.710 Hz
geometry 704 471 704 471 32
timings 36998 110 55 49 0 64 0
extsync true
accel true
rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode
Frame buffer device information:
Name : nVidia GeForce3-
Address : 0xf3c00000
Size : 4194304
Type : PACKED PIXELS
Visual : DIRECTCOLOR
XPanStep : 1
YPanStep : 1
YWrapStep : 0
LineLength : 2816
MMIO Address: 0xfd000000
MMIO Size : 16777216
Accelerator : Unknown (28)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I tried to get someone to do it with fbset, but they said it wasnt possible, this is why i suggested kernel hacking.

To me, fbset would seem the logical answer.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
flaim

can you elaborate on your mod of fbset for me?

Post by flaim »

I added parameters to change my settings in /etc/init.d/fbset like you recommended but the parameters do not change upon boot.

if i type the fbset command with all parameters in ssh and run fbset -i I get the same result you posted above. killall x does not work either...

here is my /etc/init.d/fbset file and thanks for your help:

#!/sbin/runscript

opts="start stop restart"

#depend() {
#}

start() {
ebegin "Setting terminals to: ${resolution}"
/usr/bin/fbset -g 704 471 704 471 32 -t 36998 110 55 49 0 64 0 -extsync true -accel true -a ${resolution}
eend $?
}

stop() {
ebegin "Setting terminals to: ${resolution}"
/usr/bin/fbset ${resolution}
eend $?
}

restart() {
svc_stop
sleep 5
svc_start
}
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

have you added the script to the startup sequence with rc-update?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
flaim

Post by flaim »

yes. I have tried adding to boot and default runlevels with no effect... thanks for the idea though.

when I run fbset with the new parameters and then fbset -i the settings are correct. If I then killall X when X comes back up and I fbset -i the settings have been reset to the wrong settings. Is there somewhere else I need to add these settings?
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

My brain is frizzled... I'll try to look at what you posted when I am more lucid... I also just got a new TV and haven't tried gentoox on it yet... :) Perhaps I'll have new problems.... it's a hitachi ultravision 57" digital wide screen so hopefully being a hitachi still it will work but I know I'll need to change things since it's 16x9 ar.

Boing!