Another newbie question? SW only GentooX? As in NO mod chip?

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
scott

Another newbie question? SW only GentooX? As in NO mod chip?

Post by scott »

I've read a lot of stuff today, but one thing is still a little unclear...

Ideally, I'd like to:
1. Buy a new XBox
2. Install the Mechwarrior linux patch (aka font exploit?) which would replace "XBox Live" with "Linux" in the MS Dashboard
3. Install GentooX
4. To start GentooX, I'd simply select "Linux" from the MS Dashboard

Is this a realistic goal? I'd rather NOT get involved with modchips or EvoX.
Last edited by scott on Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

No, it's totally unrealistic. That's why nobody has done it before. :D
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
scott

Post by scott »

I get the impression from http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.html#9 that i can do just as I ask... but it appears that I need to use Xebian and not GentooX. Basically, I'm talking about a SW only mod...

If it's not possible, which part makes it impossible? No mod chip? No boot CD? Digital signatures?
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

Bah.... I'm running Gentoox without any mod chips.... I did the mechinstall/font hack thingy and then switched over to Evox (the dash not the bios) and everything runs great. :)
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

oh... i just realized you didn't want to run Evox. Why? Anyway... I can't imagine any reason why you couldn't do it by modding the msdash just like the debian guys have... I suspect you could just take a hex editor to their mod'd dash and link to Xromwell.xbe instead of whatever they are currently linking to. Or something like that... anyway I believe it is entirely possible...
scott

Post by scott »

I guess I'm just looking for a warm fuzzy... So you did the mechinstall hack first? Was that necessary? What does that have to do with EvoX? I'm real close to getting it... i'm a little dense, I guess :wink:

Doesn't EvoX require a modchip?
Boing
Novice

Post by Boing »

to be honest with you I just screwed around with things until they worked... (which is my M.O.)... it went something like this..

I used an action replay which I manually inserted the save games onto... I only ended up doing this because my software smashing skills are better then my soldering skills.

used the mechinstaller font hack to install phoenix (following some tutorial off of xbox-scene.com)

switched from phoenix to evox (which doesn't require a mod chip.... evox is confusing because there is an evox bios and an evox dashboard.... I don't really know which is which from a evolutionx vs. evox perspective but I never did anything that wasn't software so I know I just messed with the dashboard.

Anyway... short story is that if there is a game in the DVD the Xbox plays it on boot. If not it goes to Evox from which I can run Gentoox (or anything else I want). In reality I should just ditch evox and make it run Xromwell.xbe but I really can't be bothered as I'd probably just break it.. ;)

did that help? no, I didn't think so....

Boing....